Delayed Trial

A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
MANAS.MUKHOPADHYAY

Delayed Trial

Unread post by MANAS.MUKHOPADHYAY »

I have 2 minor tickets from the same incident in Quebec for more than 2 years and I am yet to get a Court date. Are there any rights for the drivers against such a delayed trial ?

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

I'd check your abstract to see if there's been any convictions relating to these offenses.

Delays aren't usually found in waiting for notice of trial letters. It's quite possible there's been a mistake somewhere in the process.

tdottopcop

Unread post by tdottopcop »

MANAS.MUKHOPADHYAY wrote:Bend, I call them (the Court) every 3 months and they tell me that I didn't get a date yet. Last I called them was in Feb 2013.

Who knows if they are jerking your chain or blowing you off - take Bend's advice and check your abstract to see if you have a conviction for the offence.

If not, you're protected under the Charter 11(b) for unreasonable delay of trial... typically the delay becomes unreasonable if, because of the government, you're not granted a trial within 11 months of the offence date (seems to apply). In the meantime, check your abstract.

No, I am not the chief of Toronto Police.
No, I do not work for Toronto Police...
... it is just a name folks :)
MANAS.MUKHOPADHYAY

Unread post by MANAS.MUKHOPADHYAY »

Thanks Bend and Topcop, just called the Quebec Courthouse and they confirmed that I had a trial date back in Oct for 1 of the tickets. I never knew it but they dropped the charges for that one. The date for the other one is tomorrow, I already sent a request for postponement.

11(b) doesn't apply to the province of Quebec as it does for Ontario. Seems a delay of 2 yrs is normal in Quebec.

Rgds/Manas