A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

gogaurav

Speeding Tickets - Help

by: gogaurav on

last year i was caught driving on the highway at 134 and my licence was suspended for 30 days after getting 4 demerit points. this year i was caught on the highway again speeding at 152 and the officer reduced it to 145 (5 demerit points) and my court date is set for march 11th and i am meeting the prosecutor. I have a G2 and i am not sure if my license will be suspended again. and it is time that i can get my G so if i get my G in the upcoming week will that be a solution ?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

45 over the limit would actually be a 4 demerit point offence. If you're convicted of any 4 point offence as a G2, it's an automatic 30 day suspension. Not sure if getting your full G before conviction nullifies the penalty or not.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

gogaurav wrote:last year i was caught driving on the highway at 134 and my licence was suspended for 30 days after getting 4 demerit points. this year i was caught on the highway again speeding at 152 and the officer reduced it to 145 (5 demerit points) and my court date is set for march 11th and i am meeting the prosecutor. I have a G2 and i am not sure if my license will be suspended again. and it is time that i can get my G so if i get my G in the upcoming week will that be a solution ?

You are a second time offender under the Novice Driver Escalating Sanctions Program. If convicted of 4 or more demerit points, your license will be suspended for 90 days. If you're hoping for the prosecutor to reduce what I am assuming was originally a +50km offense again after the officer already cut you a huge break, you could be out of luck. After your third 4 or more demerit point conviction, they will cancel your license altogether and you will be forced to start from the beginning with no credit for time or money.

As for whether you can get your G and avoid sanctions, I couldn't tell you. That being said, you'd be better off doing it anyways as you're on pace to have your license taken away at the rate you're going.

gogaurav

by: gogaurav on

bend wrote:
gogaurav wrote:last year i was caught driving on the highway at 134 and my licence was suspended for 30 days after getting 4 demerit points. this year i was caught on the highway again speeding at 152 and the officer reduced it to 145 (5 demerit points) and my court date is set for march 11th and i am meeting the prosecutor. I have a G2 and i am not sure if my license will be suspended again. and it is time that i can get my G so if i get my G in the upcoming week will that be a solution ?

You are a second time offender under the Novice Driver Escalating Sanctions Program. If convicted of 4 or more demerit points, your license will be suspended for 90 days. If you're hoping for the prosecutor to reduce what I am assuming was originally a +50km offense again after the officer already cut you a huge break, you could be out of luck. After your third 4 or more demerit point conviction, they will cancel your license altogether and you will be forced to start from the beginning with no credit for time or money.

As for whether you can get your G and avoid sanctions, I couldn't tell you. That being said, you'd be better off doing it anyways as you're on pace to have your license taken away at the rate you're going.

if i am able to to get even a one demerit point reduction at my court date will my license not get suspended ?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

There would be no automatic suspension, but your total demerit points would still be problematic. Once you reach 6 points in total, youre required to attend a meeting with the Ministry and explain why you should keep your licence. A suspension is still quite likely.

Regardless, to get your current ticket reduced to a 3 point offence, it would need to be lowered to 29 over. The Crown simply will not further reduce a speeding ticket once youve already been given a break regarding the stunt driving charge and automatic suspension/impoundment.

Post a Reply