flyingbroker

129 In An 80 (reduced From 133)

by: flyingbroker on

Today I was pulled over for doing 133 km/h on a 2 lane highway with an 80 km/h speed limit. Officer was nice and reduced it to 49 km/h over (which I'm very thankful for). I was planning on pleading not guilty in hopes that the crown will cut me a bit of a break before the trial begins since I'm 26 and have a clean driving record. My question is, after reading some threads on this forum I've learned that the crown can amend the ticket to the original 53 over; in one thread I read that they can charge you up to 6 months from the date of the offence with stunt driving, is this true? Or can it only be amended once the trial has begun?

Thanks in advance!

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

flyingbroker wrote:Officer was nice and reduced it to 49 km/h over (which I'm very thankful for). I was planning on pleading not guilty in hopes that the crown will cut me a bit of a break before the trial begins since I'm 26 and have a clean driving record.

You are really pushing your luck.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Id agree with Bend and say the chances of you getting any further reduction are slim to nil. The Crown will be well aware that the officer already gave you a break in terms of the stunt driving charge and associated suspension and vehicle impoundment.

In terms of amending the speed, that would be at the start of trial.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

You received a huge break - you would have lost your licence and vehicle for a week and your insurance would have likely been close to unsustainable. Personally I'd pay the fine and move on.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
flyingbroker

by: flyingbroker on

Stanton wrote:Id agree with Bend and say the chances of you getting any further reduction are slim to nil. The Crown will be well aware that the officer already gave you a break in terms of the stunt driving charge and associated suspension and vehicle impoundment.

In terms of amending the speed, that would be at the start of trial.

FYI for anyone in a similar situation: I ended up taking it to trial and the crown reduced it to 109 in an 80, no questions asked (and he was aware that the officer had already reduced the speed on the ticket).

Post a Reply