38km/h Over On 401 But $228 Set Fine?

Metal

38km/h Over On 401 But $228 Set Fine?

Unread post by Metal »

Good afternoon, I received a ticket on the 401 near Napanee a few days ago for going 138Km/h in a 100Km/h zone on hwy 401. The set ticket fine is $228 and the total payable is $283. I was doing a bit of reading and the highway traffic act listed price is $7 per km/h over. So is the price on my ticket incorrect? It seems quite high to me. If it is wrong what should my course of action be?

Thanks

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

Your fine sounds correct.

As you said, when you're going 35-49 over, the fine is $6 per kilometre over the limit. So at 38 over, your set fine is $228.

The Government then adds on a victim surcharge fee to fund victims of crime. The fee varies depending on what your set fine is. In your case, for a fine of between $201-$250, the fee is $50. Court costs (kind of like a processing fee) are also added. For a basic ticket, it's $5.

So when you add it all up ($228 + $50 + $5) you should get $283.

viper1

Unread post by viper1 »

Metal wrote:Thanks for the quick answer Stanton.

Stanton said $6 you said $7?

It works for $6 but not $7.

Might be worth a look.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

Oops, my mistake. I didn't read the OP's post carefully.

Regardless, the fine is still correct. Speeding, for whatever reason, is the one section where the set fines are lower than HTA fines.. For the OP's speed range, the HTA says $7 per kilometre over, but the set fine is $6 per kilometre over.

Here's the Ontario Court of Justice set fines: http://www.ontariocourts.ca/ocj/how-do- ... hedule-43/

Scroll down to near the bottom, speeding fines are under Schedule B

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

Unread post by Simon Borys »

The difference is that one is for the calculation of fines for speeding for the out of court amount indicated on a Part 1 certificate and the other is for the calculation of fines for speeding after a trial. I can't remember off hand which one is which.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.