Ichigos

Failure To Remain

by: Ichigos on

After dropping a friend off, I reversed out of the driveway and hit another car. At the time, I thought I hit the curb and did not think that the impact was that large because I was just backing out and could not have gone any faster than 15 km/h. But apparently I hit another persons car and according to the police the damages were severe. According to the police, I caused $4000 worth of damages, where the entire from bumper was caved in, along with the hood and that the car hit moved an entire 3 feet from the impact. They also said that there were 3 witnesses that watched me do this. I admit that I accidentally hit the car (which I thought was the curb) but I am skeptical about the amount of damage done, there was no damage on my car whatsoever, (my car is a Toyota Sienna from around 2007 and the car hit was a Chevrolet Sedan). And when I questioned this when the police arrived, he got impatient and irritated and just charged me. I asked for a photo or perhaps a description of the type of car I hit but he couldn't provide information on either. After flipping through his notepad for a couple minutes, unable to find the information, it was then that he got irritated and just demanded for my license. It has been a month since the incident so I cannot check if the damages I am accused of causing are actually true but I am very skeptical about these accusations.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Unfortunately since you failed to remain and actually check for damage to the other car, you'll have a hard time disputing what damage you caused in Court.

As for photographs, etc., the police are under no obligation to prove the offence to you at the time you're charged. Any disputes over damages will be a matter for trial.

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

Ichigos wrote:Is it advisable for me to contact the owner of the vehicle I hit and ask for him to describe the damanes done?

If you have been charged DO NOT contact the other driver. You could actually be charged with a criminal offense for doing that.

It will all come out in court and you will be able to challenge the evidence and witnesses then.

Plus for this charge the amount of damage is not relevant. The charge is fail to remain. You hit a car and left. That is what you did and admitted to doing whether is it 100 in damage or 10000 the charge would be the same.

The insurance companies are the one that will care about the cost of the damage.

OPS

Post a Reply