A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
gramada2

Re: 90 In 70 Zone Reduced To 80-fight Or Not

by: gramada2 on

You seem quite knowledgeable and i would ask you a question if you don't mind.

Let see the scenario here.

The highway goes east/west. There is a road crossing the highway in north/south direction.

I am coming from north and turning right on the highway. There is no speed limit sign posted.

What will be the speed limit for me?

Thanks for the fast responses!

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I know what you're saying, but the limit would be whatever is posted on the highway, even if there is no sign present where you turned on. I can think of a few highways near where I live which have limits lower then 80, yet the speed isn't posted at the intersections where motorists enter the highway.

gramada2

i am sure there is a lot of places like that but we have to observe where is the next speed limit sign-should be no more than 900m after the previous.

In my location there is no next sign after 900m. The next sign is way further when you enter the town. It is pure abuse of power unfortunately i have no time fighting that.

gramada2

Stanton wrote:I know what you're saying, but the limit would be whatever is posted on the highway, even if there is no sign present where you turned on. I can think of a few highways near where I live which have limits lower then 80, yet the speed isn't posted at the intersections where motorists enter the highway.

OK here is the Ontario Traffic Manual .

http://www.library.mto.gov.on.ca/webopa ... rch&hide=1

go to page 40-41

sign Rb-1 (basic speed limit sign) is placed right after each intersection downstream the traffic

No sign- the speed limit is the default speed limit for the road.

gramada2

gramada2 wrote:Here guys

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/e ... _e.htm#BK0

3. (1) The commencement of the part of a highway for which a maximum rate of speed is prescribed shall be indicated by a speed limit sign accompanied immediately below by a sign bearing the markings and having the dimensions as illustrated in the following Figure:

When you are entering the Highway from a side road you are driving left or right on the intersection to enter the highway.

For you this is the beginning of the Highway. How you would know what is the speed limit or if it is different than the appropriate speed limit for that category road?

Or with other words shortly after every intersection speed limit sign is posted so the new traffic entering that road is informed for the speed limit change.

and here http://www.library.mto.gov.on.ca/webopa ... rch&hide=1

Ontario Traffic Manual- page 40

gramada2

Stanton wrote:I think you misunderstood the section you've quoted. It's referring to the fact that when there is a change in the speed limit (i.e. a 80 drops down to a 50 zone), the speed limit sign should have the word "BEGINS" affixed below it. The requirement for where and how often speed limit signs need to be posted is directly above that section (600 or 900 meters apart depending on the speed limit).

Right or wrong, there is no legal requirement for the limit to be posted at every intersection.

In regards to your second part about bylaws, I believe for Court purposed the presence of a speed limit sign on the roadway (even though there wasn't one at the intersection) is considered prima facie evidence of the bylaw.

The Ontario Traffic manual explains and shows clearly on Page 40-41 Sign Rb-1 posted after every intersection .

The missing sign might be a traffic engineers mistake but doesn't justify the ignorance in the court.

gramada2

Lesson 1: The only chance to win is the officer no show or Motion for 11b if you have to wait more than a year for the trial( i did won one and was easy-may be i was lucky)

Lesson 2: The Provincial offenses court is not a court where you can get Justice.They will get you convicted no matter

Lesson 3: The Justice of Piece is actually acting as a second prosecutor

I had almost 2 hours trial and trust me i was well prepared and had good evidence. I proved the officer was wrong and the judge had to defend him during the cross examination . As you can expect i was convicted but i don't regret it. It was a good experience and i learned a lot. If you have ticket fight it , no mater what .

Good luck everyone!

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

You weren't charged against the "Ontario Traffic Manual". The Ontario Traffic Manual Books and/or the Official Government Driving Handbook are simply guides. OTM for traffic practitioners and the Handbook for new drivers. They are not a defense to Highway Traffic Act violations. If you have an issue with the information provided in these guides, consult the many names listed in its credits and maybe they'll consider an addendum in your honor.

Open up a Government Drivers handbook and it will tell you "As you read, remember that this handbook is only a guide... For official descriptions of the laws, look in the

Highway Traffic Act of Ontario and its Regulations..."

You were charged under the Highway Traffic Act and it tells you everything you need to know about sign placement. The Highway Traffic Act states:

2. (1) Subject to section 4, where a maximum rate of speed other than that prescribed by subsection 128 (1) of the Act is prescribed for a highway in a local municipality or built-up area, speed limit signs shall be erected on the highway, in each direction of travel,

(a) not more than 600 metres apart where the speed limit prescribed is 60 kilometres per hour or less; and

(b) not more than 900 metres apart where the speed limit prescribed is greater than 60 kilometres per hour and not more than 70 kilometres per hour. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 615, s. 2 (1); O. Reg. 175/08, s. 1.

(2) Where the maximum rate of speed for a highway in a built-up area more than 1,500 metres in length is that prescribed by subsection 128 (1) of the Act, speed limit signs shall be erected on the highway not more than 900 metres apart. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 615, s. 2 (2).

(3) Where the maximum rate of speed for a highway in a built-up area 1,500 metres or less in length is that prescribed by subsection 128 (1) of the Act, speed limit signs shall be erected on the highway not more than 300 metres apart. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 615, s. 2 (3).

There is no requirement listed in The Highway Traffic Act that states a sign must be placed at every intersection.

gramada2

R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 615

"(6) A speed limit sign as prescribed in section 1 shall be erected at the termination of the designated portion of the highway, except that the maximum speed shown thereon shall be the appropriate speed limit for the adjoining portion of the highway. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 615, s. 5 (6)."

Termination of the highway is every major intersection controled by traffic lights -no side roads or property acces roads as someone sugested earlier.

here is the section 1 at the begining

"1. A speed limit sign,

(a) shall be not less than 60 centimetres in width and 75 centimetres in height; ........"

gramada2

Whether the sign must be there or not is not an issue now. The issue in the trial was that the only supportive evidence from the officer for my conviction was the 70 speed limit sign.The officer testifies there is a speed limit sign posted. I did prove there is no sign posted and never been posted before . The senior traffic engineers can proove that with a record showing the sign was never installed. I did prove it with photos that there is no sign. The officer was lying under oath and that was OK with the Judge.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

gramada2 wrote:R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 615

"(6) A speed limit sign as prescribed in section 1 shall be erected at the termination of the designated portion of the highway, except that the maximum speed shown thereon shall be the appropriate speed limit for the adjoining portion of the highway. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 615, s. 5 (6)."

Termination of the highway is every major intersection controled by traffic lights -no side roads or property acces roads as someone sugested earlier.

here is the section 1 at the begining

"1. A speed limit sign,

(a) shall be not less than 60 centimetres in width and 75 centimetres in height; ........"

An intersection is not a termination of a highway.

gramada2

Stanton wrote:The quoted section would actually be referring to the termination of a school safety zone, not the actual highway itself. Its basically saying when the school safety zone ends, you need to post a new sign with the (presumably) higher limit.

You are wrong here. When the school zone or community safety zone continues after the next intersection (which is considered termination!) the 40 speed limit sign shall be posted after the intersection. If the school zone ends at the intersection speed limit sign is not required after the intersection and the speed limit goes to the default speed limit-50km/h in the city. Speed limit sign is required after each intersection if the speed limit is different than the default speed limit. That is why we don't see 50km/h signs after each intersection in the city-the 50km/h is valid for the whole city and that is a way to reduce the signs pollution.

The paragraph you are showing with the 600m ,900m and so on is for uninterrupted road. Every intersection where is required a full stop in every direction of travel is considered termination and also a point of acceleration . Anyway we can talk a lot here. Actually in the Traffic manual which is used by the Traffic engineers to determine the sign locations you can see few road diagrams with signs required and the locations. You can see on the uninterrupted side of the road is valid the rule 600m and so on , but on the interrupted side of the road signs are posted after each termination or intersection.

Thanks for taking time to discuss this mater!

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Are you basing that on the Ontario Traffic Manual? Remember, the OTM is the suggested best practice but not a legal requirement under the HTA. While I dont disagree that signage should comply to the standards set by the Province, for Court purposes typically only the HTA requirements need to be met.

Post a Reply