Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
Razzzy

Fail To Stop At Red Light - Right Turn ( My First Ticket )

by: Razzzy on

Here is the situation for which i got my First ticket

I was going down the road on the first line ( the one beside the side-walk ) and i reach an intersection with red light. Therefore i stop and wait for the green light. Me and my girlfriend were going to her parents. She tells me that i can turn right instead of going straight, because we will arrive faster, and so i decide to do. After being stationed for a few seconds, and being on the most right line, i look around to make sure is safe to go, and i make the right turn. Right away a cop car is behind me with the lights and all that. They said i did not stop before making the right turn and that everything was recorded. ( I realized they were coming from the left when i was waiting at the red light , so as soon as i made the right turn, they were actually behind me )

Since is my first ticket , i did not know how to react exactly, but i decided to fight it because i know i am not guilty. Also, since is my first ticket i also want suggestions from the ones with experience and the one that know better, and i highly appreciate it.

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... .htm#BK222

Red light

(18) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular red indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle and shall not proceed until a green indication is shown. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (18).

Exception – turn

(19) Despite subsection (18) and subject to subsection (14), a driver, after stopping his or her vehicle and yielding the right of way to traffic lawfully approaching so closely that to proceed would constitute an immediate hazard, may,

(a) turn to the right; or

(b) turn to the left from a one-way street into a one-way street,

without a green indication being shown. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (19).

daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

When you get your court date in the mail make sure to file a disclosure request and get a copy of the video tape from the officers dashboard camera. If the video shows that you were in fact stopped at the red light then that would really help your case. There should be a sample disclosure letter in the court procedures section of this site.

Post a Reply