vince2000

Crashed Car Into Hydro Pole

by: vince2000 on

I basically had a car crash. I'm a young driver under 21. I was driving from work. Had a cold, long shift, didn't eat too much (due to the cold), was working in a cold environment which didn't aid the cold. So I felt nausea while driving and felt like vomiting. My car started to slide to the left and next thing I was in a ditch driving towards a pole. I tried steering out and breaking but the car started to jerk and I could not get out, crashed into the pole and totalled my car. I was given a ticket for careless driving. The road was wet and it was raining. The car is written off. So I'm attempting to fight this and have a lawyer as well. Any advice? I am really scared and nervous being at such a young age and with such a serious ticket. Thank you.

Reflections

by: Reflections on

You have already done what is regularly suggested on this site, and that is to get legal council. Let them do the leg work..... I cannot comment on the outcome, but just wait and listen to what the lawyer says.... go from there and good luck.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
vince2000

by: vince2000 on

Does it look like I have any chance?

-I also want to note, I wasn't feeling nausea before driving, it came suddenly (maybe the smell of food triggered it) and thats when I lost control, it momentarily impaired my ability to drive. - I don't know if thats a good thing to say though.

- Also this occurred in Milton - does anyone know how long it'd take to receive the court date?

syntst

by: syntst on

Legal advice was the best route. I know from past experience that there needs to be a witness to the careless driving. No witness, no statement - how does the officer know you were driving carelessly? He must of assumed you were driving carelessly because your car was wrecked - assumptions have no standings in court.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I'd disagree with that. There needs to be evidence that it was you driving and that you were driving in a careless fashion, but it doesn't require a witness. While a witness can strengthen the case, evidence can still be obtained through physical evidence at the collision scene or through a statement provided by the accused.

Quite likely the Crown will offer a plea deal to a reduced charge. It will be up to you and your lawyer to determine if you should take the deal or take your chances at trial.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

syntst wrote:assumptions have no standings in court.

Actually, they do. Judges often have to assume things to be true when they make findings of fact. Judges are also entitled to draw reasonable inferences from those assumptions/facts.

Remember, the standard required is not one of absolute proof.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

syntst wrote:Remember, the standard required is not one of absolute proof.

What about reasonable doubt?

That's the standard of proof required for a conviction, beyond a reasonable doubt. But the fact that there isn't a witness does not automatically mean there's reasonable doubt. Think of the many serious criminal trials for offences like murder where there's no witness, but people are still convicted.

Post a Reply

Return to “Careless Driving”