Fire Department Vehicles, Etc., Approaching - Section 159

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

Student123

Fire Department Vehicles, Etc., Approaching - Section 159

Unread post by Student123 »

Hi all,

Thanks for the great site. I got a ticket $110 yesterday night because I was following a fire department truck "too closely". I wonder if I will be losing any points because of that?

Does a highway act apply on a non-highway street?

And how would I measure 150m distance while I am driving? From my driving courses I took before my G2, I was told to leave 2 seconds distance between my car and the car in front of me. I was driving at 60Km/h. So, to leave 150m distance that's 9 seconds.

Thanks for the help

OHTA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by OHTA »

If you got a ticket for FOLLOWING TOO CLOSELY, it comes with 4 Points.

Not too sure if the 150m rule is correct. That is way too long of a distance to leave in between cars. A suggested rule is to leave ONE-TWO car space distance in between you and the other car.

Student123

OHTA wrote:If you got a ticket for FOLLOWING TOO CLOSELY, it comes with 4 Points.

Not too sure if the 150m rule is correct. That is way too long of a distance to leave in between cars. A suggested rule is to leave ONE-TWO car space distance in between you and the other car.

Thanks for your replies. Here is the Act 159(2)

2) No driver of a vehicle shall follow in any lane of a roadway at a distance of less than 150 metres a fire department vehicle responding to an alarm. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 159 (2).

I agree with you that it is too long of a distance. When I told my friend about it he said "150m??, thats a football field" I guess that distance make since on a hightway since we are driving at 100km/h but on a 60km/h street? Come on.

That's too bad about the 4 points thing. I guess I have to go to court for that one.

The funny thing, I asked the guy if I lost any points he said that he doesn't know because he doesn't work for the police :? Even though he was wearing a police uniform and had a police car. Any ideas what's he was talking about?

OHTA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by OHTA »

Student123 wrote:Thanks for your replies. Here is the Act 159(2)

2) No driver of a vehicle shall follow in any lane of a roadway at a distance of less than 150 metres a fire department vehicle responding to an alarm. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 159 (2).

This law states that you must be 150 meters behind a fire department vehicle responding to an alarm.

So, maybe if the firetruck was not responding to an alarm, and was just driving down the road, without sirens, then I think you can challenge this law.

That is interesting, as I did not know that you must be 150 meters away from the firetruck when its responding to an alarm.

OHTA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by OHTA »

Student123 wrote:

The funny thing, I asked the guy if I lost any points he said that he doesn't know because he doesn't work for the police :? Even though he was wearing a police uniform and had a police car. Any ideas what's he was talking about?

LOL..who did you ask? The guy who gave you the ticket? And he said hes NOT a cop??

Your ticket should say who pulled you over and for what reason. You should look for any inconsistencies on the ticket itself, as it would be a reason to drop your ticket.

Student123

OHTA wrote:
Student123 wrote:

LOL..who did you ask? The guy who gave you the ticket? And he said hes NOT a cop??

Your ticket should say who pulled you over and for what reason. You should look for any inconsistencies on the ticket itself, as it would be a reason to drop your ticket.

LOL, the guy who gave me the ticket said that "I don't work for the police" even though he wears a police suite and drives a police car (not RCMP or OPP):? . His name is: Serg. (.......) where (....) is his name. Serg. stands for Sergeant right?

Student123

OHTA wrote:
Student123 wrote:Thanks for your replies. Here is the Act 159(2)

This law states that you must be 150 meters behind a fire department vehicle responding to an alarm.

So, maybe if the firetruck was not responding to an alarm, and was just driving down the road, without sirens, then I think you can challenge this law.

That is interesting, as I did not know that you must be 150 meters away from the firetruck when its responding to an alarm.

Well, It was flashing but it entered teh street where I was driving from an exist. It doesn't make sense for me to stop to have the 150m distance and they drive.

OHTA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by OHTA »

Yea thats a bit on the unfair side, but the law requires you to pull over to the right and stop if you see an emergency vehicle. It can be coming from either side. Once it has exceeded the 150m range then you would be able to proceed.

So just in case you try to use that for your defense...just keep in mind that the prosecution can bring up the latter explanation and counter you.

Student123

I will try going to the city on Monday and talk to them. My friend said I might be lucky and they drop it on the spot. If not, I think I will hire somebody.

OHTA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by OHTA »

Good luck with your traffic ticket!

And just keep in mind that if you do require to hire a traffic ticket agent, this forum can refer one to you in your area.

Simply send an email to OHTA or ADMIN with your contact details.

Thanks.

Student123

OHTA wrote:Good luck with your traffic ticket!

And just keep in mind that if you do require to hire a traffic ticket agent, this forum can refer one to you in your area.

Simply send an email to OHTA or ADMIN with your contact details.

Thanks.

I will try my luck on Monday if it doesn't work out I will pm you.

Thanks again

Zeeman28a

Unread post by Zeeman28a »

OHTA wrote:That is interesting, as I did not know that you must be 150 meters away from the firetruck when its responding to an alarm.

I know. I'm coming late into this.

All firetrucks have a sign in huge letters on it's rear.

"Keep back 150m"

You've never seen it?

http://torontofire.smugmug.com/gallery/ ... #192732991