Saman111

Unintentionally Failed To Stop For School Bus!

by: Saman111 on

Traffic.jpg
Traffic.jpg (10.05 KiB) Viewed 20969 times
As shown above, I (red box) stopped at the stop sign, there was also a school bus (yellow box) at the stop sign with lights flashing. The stop signs on the bus were not facing me, so I thought it would be ok to move now that the yield is with me. So, I did and the bus driver honked a long horn, I stopped next to the driver and explained my logic to her. She was not happy, she said that the fine is $2000 and there is a 6 demerit points and ended her comment with "holy *EDIT*"!. I apologized and left the scene.

I do not think she wrote down my license plate. Does she need to report me in order to get charged or I had to be caught by police? My intention was not to violate the law, it was simply a misjudgement on my part; I do have a perfect clean driving record. I will appreciate any input.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

No, you don't have to be caught by the police to be charged. If the bus driver recorded your plate, she can simply forward the information to them.

Typically police charge the registered owner of the vehicle, since it can be difficult to prove who was driving in Court. I believe the set fine is about $490, and there are no demerit points if you're charged as the owner instead of the driver.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

It's very unlikely you'll be charged as the driver. Police rarely have the time to conduct investigations into every car that fails to stop for a school bus. It's much simpler to simply charge the registered owner and more likely to stand up in Court. If the police haven't been knocking at your door, I wouldn't worry too much. Worst case is you (if you're the owner) get a ticket in the mail.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Saman111 wrote:Oh, by the way I learned today that school buses are not supposed to have their lights flashing while they are right at the "Stop" sign! If this is true, it will then be to my advantage should we go to the court of law.

I'm not aware of any such requirement in the Highway Traffic Act. Perhaps it might be a policy of a particular bus line, but it would not change your legal requirement to stop for the bus.

Squishy

by: Squishy on

It's in there somewhere, but I'm pretty sure it only applies to traffic control signals, not stop signs. I believe the intent is to prevent bus drivers from displaying contradictory signals to drivers (i.e., stiop from bus, green from signal).

EDIT: It's 175 (9):

(9) No person shall actuate the overhead red signal-lights or the stop arm on a school bus,

(a) at an intersection controlled by an operating traffic control signal system;

(b) at any other location controlled by an operating traffic control signal system at,

(i) a sign or roadway marking indicating where the stop is to be made,

(ii) the area immediately before entering the nearest crosswalk, if there is no sign or marking indicating where the stop is to be made, or

(iii) a point not less than five metres before the nearest traffic control signal, if there is no sign, marking or crosswalk; or

(c) within sixty metres from a location referred to in clause (a) or (b). R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 175 (9).

Post a Reply