Totosai

98km/h In A 50

by: Totosai on

hey i live in nova scotia and was wondering would my license be suspsended? im hopping to become a long haul truck driver when im 18 and hopefuly this ticket wont prolong that. im a newly licensed driver.

speeding fine was $400

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Was this ticket received in Nova Scotia or in Ontario?

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

If you received the ticket in Ontario, the total fine should be $353. With an Ontario licence, you'd receive 4 demerit points, which would result in a warning letter for new drivers but no suspension. If you have a Nova Scotia licence, the charge will still show on your licence upon conviction, since all Provinces have a reciprocity agreement. Nova Scotia would apply whatever demerit points are typical for 48 over in their Province. I have no idea how many demerit points you can receive in Nova Scotia prior to warning and/or suspension. If you fail to pay the fine, your licence will be suspended, no matter which Province it's from.

Not sure how much of an impact the conviction would have on employment with a trucking firm. Many are quite particular about convictions, and it may limit your options until it's gone from your record.

Totosai

Radar Identified wrote:Was this ticket received in Nova Scotia or in Ontario?

ticket was recieved in nova scotia.

thanks for the reply stanton hopefuly youre right and my license doesnt get suspended. the officer said that my license would probably get suspended for 7 days, could i go to court and try to get exempt from that?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

A quick read of some sites relating to the Nova Scotia motor vehicle's act would indicate your licence can actually be suspended for 7 days for any speeding conviction of 15+ over the limit! :shock:

I'm not sure if that applies to out of province licences or not, but I'd strongly suggest you make some inquiries to find out. If your licence was suspended, even for just 7 days, it would be a serious black mark on your driving history. It sounds like it only applies to NS licences, but not something I'd take any chances with.

Totosai

Stanton wrote:A quick read of some sites relating to the Nova Scotia motor vehicle's act would indicate your licence can actually be suspended for 7 days for any speeding conviction of 15+ over the limit! :shock:

I'm not sure if that applies to out of province licences or not, but I'd strongly suggest you make some inquiries to find out. If your licence was suspended, even for just 7 days, it would be a serious black mark on your driving history. It sounds like it only applies to NS licences, but not something I'd take any chances with.

yeah ive been trying to get in touch with the DMV but no luck so far. ill try monday

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Here's the highlights from the Nova Scotia Motor Vehicle Act. Well worth a read if you're ever planning on driving in Nova Scotia.

First, here's the speeding section:

106A) A person commits an offence who exceeds the speed limit by

(a) between one and fifteen kilometres per hour, inclusive;

(b) between sixteen and thirty kilometres per hour, inclusive; or

(c) by thirty-one kilometres per hour or more.

So three categories of speeding offences depending on your actual speed.

Now here's the kicker:

285) When a court or judge convicts a person who holds a driver's license under this Act of a violation of clause (b) or (c) of Section 106A the court or judge, shall by order suspend the driver's license of the person for a period of seven days in the case of a conviction for a first offence, for a period of fifteen days in the case of a conviction for a second offence, and for a period of thirty days in the case of a conviction for a third or subsequent offence.

So it's not a roadside suspension, but upon conviction you're looking at a 7, 15 or 30 day suspension for exceeding the speed limit by just 16 over. I'm still not sure if that would apply to out of Province licences or not. They also have stunt driving laws similar to Ontario where 50+ over results in a roadside suspension and vehicle seizure.

Losing your licence automatically for 16 over is just plain nuts! :shock: Must cut down on Court costs because nobody would ever risk fighting a ticket that's been reduced to 15 over.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Stanton wrote:Losing your licence automatically for 16 over is just plain nuts!

I'll say...

Then again, Nova Scotia isn't exactly known for people hammering the gas pedal... and their highway speed limits are 110 km/h.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply

Return to “Exceeding the speed limit by 30 to 49 km/h”