A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

kyros

10 Year Old Speeding Ticket

by: kyros on

Recently I received a call from a collection agency stating that I have an unpaid speeding ticket from 10 years ago. I know I had paid the ticket but since it was so long ago I don't have proof. Is there anything I can do?

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

Nothing. I got one of these from 1998 when I was visiting Ontario and was from Alberta. I mailed the check and never thought about it. Two years ago I got a call saying I owed. They sent me paperwork and I had to pay. It would have cost me more than the ticket to have the banks pull the records from that long ago. RBC told me it would be a minimum of 250 to pull the record. I owed 89. So I just paid.

Funny thing when I moved here in 2002 I exchanged my AB DL for an Ontario one and they never told me I owed anything and did not have a suspended Ontario license number which is supposed to happen.

Ops Copper

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

10 years ago!!? Isnt there some sort of time limit or statue of limitations where they can come after you? If not there should be, 10 years is just ridiculous...what happened after the first 5 years? They just forgot about it ?

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

This is exactly what the MTO does. I cannot remember the time frame but they send un collected fines to collection agencies. The agencies have all the relevant documents and will provide them. When I contacted the MTO they told me everything was legit and I had to pay.

The MTO will have the outstanding fine and you can pay it there. But since the collection agency has the debt you still have to pay their fee.

Ops

Post a Reply