skate4fun

Disobey Official Sign- Ottawa City Bylaw 2003-530-advise

by: skate4fun on

I received a ticket under the Ottawa City bylaw 2003-530 for "disobey official sign". Appa

rently I did not make a full stop at a stop sign. Ticket was for $35.00 and I was advised I would not lose any points. The police officer mentioned he downgraded the ticket from the HTA & charge of $120 to a municipal charge of $35 & no points.

I know even if you lose no demerit points under the HSA your insurance copmany is still aware of the charge. Question is would my insurance company be notified of a Ottawa city bylaw ticket for $35 with no points?

Trying to figure out if I should just pay this or fight it. I don't have any other tickets on my record now just trying to keep my record ( & insurance rates) low.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I'm pretty sure you're in the clear with that charge. Prohibited turns are the only bylaw infractions that I'm aware of to carry demerit points. Without demerit points, the conviction (if paid) should not appear on your record. There are a few other posters who are more familiar with bylaw infractions that can hopefully confirm this.

If the charge doesn't carry any demerit points, it's probably best just to pay it. Unless you've got a lot of free time or it's a matter of principle, that's a pretty good deal for a stop sign infraction. Lots of places don't have those handy bylaws meaning you'd be looking at a $110 fine and 3 demerit points.

Rixo5

by: Rixo5 on

Confirmed, this violation ticket will not show up on your driving record at all. The Ottawa City bylaw 2003-530 for "disobey official sign" is a catch all that gives a bit a latitude to police officers to lower the amount and for the infraction not to show up on your record and affect your insurance premiums. This said, if you plan on fighting this ticket, you better be damn sure that you "stopped completely" at that stop sign cause the judge will get wind that the fine has already been reduced from the usual 110$ and 3 points and not be very lenient. Ultimately... wasting you time in court!

Post a Reply