Fastamber

Tailgating, We've All Done It.

by: Fastamber on

For those of you who think tailgaters are annoying. I'm sure most tailgaters think slow drivers are annoying. Some people don't tailgate because they are waiting to pass though. Some tailgate because they are bad drivers and they don't follow at a safe distance. Pull over and let them go by. Don't get smart and slam your brakes on. They won't appreciate it.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

I think tailgater's are dangerous and reckless. I can't stand tailgater's who follow you so close at night time. Its already dark so why are up my ass? I can understand on the highways, you can simply move over, but when you are on a single lane highway like say highway 24, then get off my ass! Theres a reason why I can't go any faster, and if I could I would. Its not to piss you off, but please realize not everyone drives like a maniac. Tailgating is not safe, and has lead to many car accidents in the past and present!

Toronto Hydro

by: Toronto Hydro on

seriously man, tailgaters are fuct. cars are not so much a problem, but its when i get tailgated by 18-wheelers that i have a problem (and im not the only one who does). last week it was snowy and rainy so ppl on the 401 were goin slower than usual. the truckers, however, did not like this. i got tailgated real close and was aggressively passed by rigs going in the far left lane.

something isnt right with that.

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Next time you are being tailgated, just VERY SLIGHTLY tap the brake, so that the brakes do not come on, but the brake lights do. If the guy behind is not a complete idiot, he will get the point.

Not the case if you are going under the speed limit though, I hate ppl who do that too... When people drive 40 in the 60 zone, that just makes me mad, but I always keep some distance. Also, can someone confirm, but it might not be illegal to overtake someone over a double-yellow line if they are going way under the speed limit. I know you can, but not sure about the exact details.

Bookm

by: Bookm on

If you're being tailgated by a trucker on the 401, most likely you are blocking THEIR passing lane (the middle lane). They are not allowed to use the far left lane, so those slugs who mosie along in the centre lane with their cruise on absolutely infuriate truckers. So they tailgate or pass aggressively in the hopes the "blockers" will post on a traffic forum like this and get educated about lane etiquette ;) The middle lane is considered by the HTA to be a transition lane only, not a lane for continuous travel. That's what the far right lane is for.

Yes you can pass on a solid or double-solid line in Ontario (don't do it in the States though!). There are limitations though regarding minimum distances to intersections and railway crossings (don't know the specs though)

Reflections

by: Reflections on

Bookm wrote:

Yes you can pass on a solid or double-solid line in Ontario (don't do it in the States though!). There are limitations though regarding minimum distances to intersections and railway crossings (don't know the specs though)

Think to your self, how far can I see. If you can safely complete the pass on the roadway you can see, there really is no problem. If you cannot estimate the distance needed, wait until you know.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Zeeman28a

by: Zeeman28a on

According to the drivers handbook, if you are being tailgated, pull over and let them pass.

What's wrong with that?

The last thing you want to do is step on the brakes on a tailgater. That could cause some serious problems. Especially if you got one of them road rage persons behind you.

I've tailgated, and I've been tailgated. If you want a tailgater to back off, do what I do. Clean your windshield. The over spray will go on the car behind you and they will back off. Happens 100% of the time. But when I tailgate, I usually flash my lights as an indication that I am going to pass (not really tailgating but I get to about a cars length before passing).

But otherwise, pull over. AND don't speed up as I'm passing you.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

Yea I agree, if you are being tailgated then just consider pulling over a lane. Don't get all frustrated and angry, that won't help your situation.

mr.mackey

by: mr.mackey on

a friend of mine was driving back from a camping trip up north and there was a guy tailgating him for a while on a stretch of country road, where plenty of space/opportunity was available for passing.

so he was fed up with it, and decided to flick on his fog lights, which i guess looked like brake lights in certain conditions, and the tailgater slammed on the brakes, almost lost control.

it probably scared my friend more. but fortunately no road-rage or accident evolved from that incident. :wink:

"I guess this old cowboy has seen it all.
The world's greatest rapper is white. The greatest golfer is black.
President Clinton just got back from Vietnam.
And there is no Oldsmobile anymore."
Post a Reply

Return to “Following too closely”