Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
dyckjd

Disobey Official Sign - Ottawa Municipal Bylaw Section 86

by: dyckjd on

I was given this ticket for rolling through a stop sign. I'm not sure that I really rolled through, because I always come to a full stop. This time however, there were tens of bicycle riders coasting through the same stop sign and I may have coasted.

The police officer was parked well back of the intersection and the approach path to the stop sign is partially obscured by the sign. The police man said I hadn't come to a complete stop, perhaps 10 to 15 km per hour, but since I thought I had stopped, he gave me this reduced ticket.

I'm of the opinion I should plead not guilty, but not sure if it's worth the time and distance to fight a $35 ticket.

Question: Since the ticket doesn't say what the "official sign" was, how could I argue, "NOT GUILTY"?

What are the chances of having the ticket dropped? (It doesn't carry any demerit points and isn't on my record).

diehard

by: diehard on

dyckjd wrote:I was given this ticket for rolling through a stop sign. I'm not sure that I really rolled through, because I always come to a full stop. This time however, there were tens of bicycle riders coasting through the same stop sign and I may have coasted.

The police officer was parked well back of the intersection and the approach path to the stop sign is partially obscured by the sign. The police man said I hadn't come to a complete stop, perhaps 10 to 15 km per hour, but since I thought I had stopped, he gave me this reduced ticket.

I'm of the opinion I should plead not guilty, but not sure if it's worth the time and distance to fight a $35 ticket.

Question: Since the ticket doesn't say what the "official sign" was, how could I argue, "NOT GUILTY"?

What are the chances of having the ticket dropped? (It doesn't carry any demerit points and isn't on my record).

If there's no conviction and thus no insurance rate increase, then just pay this thing and get it over with, IMO.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Years ago when I was living in Ottawa, I got charged with exactly this offence. Zero demerit points, nothing on your driver record, no insurance increase... as diehard said. I'd suggest paying it.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply