A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

vjjam

Charged With Littering

by: vjjam on

I've just come across this site while searching for information on my littering fine. I have chosen to fight my charge for throwing my cigarette butt out the window (110.00 fine) and my court date is July 29. I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever fought such a ticket and if anyone has any information they can share to hopefully help me. Thank you!!!

HighMileJon

by: HighMileJon on

You deserve the ticket.

I hate people who throw their buts out the window. Not only is it dangerous (could start a fire if conditions are dry enough) but it is also disgusting.

Why not just keep an ash tray in your car and dispose of the buts later?

Sounds pretty simple.

I remember watching a COPS show in California where the fine is over 500 dollars for throwing a but out the window.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

I can't really agree with throwing your butt out the window, but I see people doing it ALL THE TIME!

You are charged with littering and not attempted arson, which is atleast good :lol:

Littering is a fine that you should just pay and get over with IMO.

Next time, simply consider an ashtray or cup to keep the butts in.

vjjam

by: vjjam on

So, I went court and pleaded guilty as I did commit this offence.

The charges were dropped and I did not have to pay the fine :D Spoke to the prosecutor's lawyer that day in court and he actually was awesome!!! He did all the talking which was surprising to me as he was there to defend the officer, not me. He told the judge that he had no issues in dropping the charges as it was only a cigarette butt that I tossed not MacDonalds food bags, Tim Horton's coffee cups and other larger items that we all see laying on the side of the roads and highways.

I am now aware that a cigarette butt is considered littering and have certainly taken proper measures so it doesn't happen again. It just would have been nice if the officer himself had given me a warning for my first offence because I honestly did not know this, rather than me getting all worked up on having to go to court.

There was one other littering charge that day for the same thing and she too had her fine dropped. Makes me believe that they don't take this offence very serious.

HighMileJon

by: HighMileJon on

Sad...

Littering is littering..

This is why there are millions of butts. The law is barely enforced and when it is the law is then not punished enough because the charges are dropped and most people continue to do what they want.

I am glad you did learn something! That means the officer did do his job, and you are right he could of given you a warning if you genuinely didn't know it is a bad idea to throw your butt out the window =/ although I don't know why anyone would think this is an "okay" action.

Post a Reply