39 Over On 400

Jarratt

39 Over On 400

Unread post by Jarratt »

Great site! I was "paced" by OPP and ticketed for 39 over. My question is at the First Attendance, does the Prosecutor and or the JP have the officers notes?

I know I was over, but there was some confusion when the Officer ticketed me.

I am ok with a lesser charge. The Court location would be York. Thoughts?

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

Unread post by Simon Borys »

JP will have nothing to do with a first attendance meeting. Prosecutor will have the officers notes and if you apply for disclosure you should have a copy of them as well before that date. A plea to a lesser speed should be possible if that is what you're looking for, depending on a number of factors including your record, especially for a pacing ticket.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Jarratt

Unread post by Jarratt »

Thanks Simon, I seem to recall at a previous First Attendance standing before a JP with the Prosecutor with my plea to a lesser charge. That was in Peel.

Of course now that I think about it I will apply for disclosure BEFORE the First Attendance so I will know what I am up against. Thanks for pointing that out.

I will do this and update my progress, perhaps with more questions.

My concern is the officer stated he saw other issues - no signal lane change, and higher rates of speed and contemplated a Careless change. An Officer friend pointed out that information is probably not in his notes as that would bring into question why he did not make a Careless charge. I guess disclosure will tell all.

Thanks to all for an excellent and interesting site!

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

Unread post by Simon Borys »

Jarratt wrote:Thanks Simon, I seem to recall at a previous First Attendance standing before a JP with the Prosecutor with my plea to a lesser charge. That was in Peel.

You will have to go before a JP to enter a plea, however discussions prior to that about what the deal will be (a.k.a. first attendance meeting) will be with the prosecutor only.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.

Return to “Exceeding the speed limit by 30 to 49 km/h”