wellysm

116kmh On A 60 - Help!

by: wellysm on

I've been reading this forum for the past few weeks and have taken some actions that seemed like the right thing to do - yet i'm still scared

What happened was the following:

Fathers day, i took the car (I rarely drive as I'm from Guelph - only reason i drove that day was to get my dad a gift...) i was doing around 70 and the light was about to turn yellow so i sped up a bit...

my roof was down, so the receipt i had for the gift flew and i was trying to catch it, not noticing my speed and my leg had to press on the gas (as i tried to move up to catch it - so my car suddenly jerked faster to the front)

I look ahead of me and I see someone walking in the middle of the street (There was no cars at all around me .. i was the only one) and realized it was a cop. so as I slowed down and pulled over, i had the receipt in my hand and hoped that she seen it, so i went on to tell her what happened and she stated that she got me at 116 (which i thought i was being stopped for 80 over, i dont understand how its 116)

So i talked to the cop, explained everything, my 1st offense in the 5 years i've been driving in...etc etc

she was kind enough to lower it to 15 over... but also had to give me 2 tickets for: failing to present my insurance and ownership of the car...

which apparently were with my dad that day as he was photocopying them. so it was pure bad luck

now later on i found out that any small ticket will mess up your insurance. so i submitted the tickets to court, and asked to speak to the judge 1st (which is coming up in sept)

now i don't want my insurance to go up, at the same time if the judge doesn't offer me a good deal, I'm afraid to have to go to court and have the officer present the evidence and end up being ticketed for 50 over

please advice me on what I should do... i just don't want my insurance to hike as i'm only 21 and am going for paramedics...slightest conviction will probably ruin my chances of getting in the program

Thanks in advanced

William

cruzmisl

by: cruzmisl on

My advice is pay the tickets you were issued and count your blessings. The alternative could have been a stunt driving charge which is far worse than what you got. JMHO.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

wellysm wrote:slightest conviction will probably ruin my chances of getting in the program

No it won't. But a conviction for stunt driving probably would. That's what you're facing if you go to trial and they amend the ticket back up. Unless you have a specific defence for court I would be wary of having a trial just because you don't want your insurance to go up.

Also, just to clarify, you don't get a meeting with the judge to talk about a deal. You get that at a first attendance meeting with the prosecutor. If you have a meeting with the judge it's just to plea guilty to all the offence and ask for a reduction in the dollar amount of the find and/or more time to pay.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
wellysm

Yes, its the first attendance meeting that i have in sept

Now that i have that meeting already placed... would that screw me over? or can I just pay the tickets if the 1st attendance meeting doesnt work out?

Thanks

Plenderzoosh

by: Plenderzoosh on

Stunt driving knocked down to 15km/h over at roadside! That can happen? You should realize you were given a HUGE break and there's a good chance if you take it to trial the prosecutor won't be too happy that you're looking for a further reduction and amend it back up to 116 in a 60.

My suggestion if you feel brave: at the first attendance bring your insurance and ownership with you and see if you can get one or both of those withdrawn but let the prosecutor know you will be pleading guilty to the speeding charge and are very grateful for the reduction you were given.

If the prosecutor still doesn't like that you can always just plead guilty to everything and they won't be given the chance to amend the charge up to 116.

Reflections

by: Reflections on

Personal opinion: Pay it and thank the officer, might I suggest a donut?

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

56 km/h over lowered to 15 over at the roadside?!?!?!?!?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I speak three different languages and, between all of them combined, there aren't enough words, phrases and expressions to convey just how lucky you were.

Reflections wrote:Personal opinion: Pay it and thank the officer

X2

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
wellysm

Trust me, I know how lucky I was, i even told the officer that I think shes an angel man

I never had a single conviction before, and if i was to get something that bad everything would've been screwed up for me (univ...etc etc)

Radar Identified wrote:56 km/h over lowered to 15 over at the roadside?!?!?!?!?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I speak three different languages and, between all of them combined, there aren't enough words, phrases and expressions to convey just how lucky you were.

Reflections wrote:Personal opinion: Pay it and thank the officer

X2

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

You weren't charged with Racing?

Pay the 15 over and get over this.

Next time, just remember that speed Kills!

56 over in a 60 zone is blatant.

You are sooo lucky the officer did not charge you with Racing.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

Radar Identified wrote:

3 different eh? Does one of them entail D'Oh! :P

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

"DOH" wouldn't apply to getting ticketed for 15 over when you're actually going 56 over. "WOO-HOO" would be the proper expression. :P

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply

Return to “Exceeding the speed limit by 50 km/h or more”