Scary Situation

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

FyreStorm

Posting Awards

Scary Situation

Unread post by FyreStorm »

A few days back, on patrol, I stopped a car going the other way for his dark window tint. I couldn't see in and we all know this is rather common.

My spider sense was tingling and there was radio traffic, so rather than book off, I immediately went to driver's window.

The driver was hunched over the passenger seat with the glovebox open...I couldn't see what he was doing so I told him to sit up and face me.

Young fella, mid 20's...custom car...you know the type.

We had a conversation about window tint, he thought his was ok, not too dark, so I took a pic with my Iphone from 2 ft away and showed him...he was polite so I gave him a warning, he smiled, thanked me and drove off.

3 hours later he shot himself with a shot gun, in the car, ammo was in the glove compartment.

Did I almost get shot? Did I move too quickly for his 'suicide by cop' improvised plan? Did I miss a sign of someone in pain?

I can tell you I had no concerns as the driver showed no signs of anxiety, distance or depression. Had he not lowered his window and chosen to raise the shotgun at me, I'd have never seen it coming.

A cautionary note to the other officers here, and perhaps a little insight to those sporting dark tint.

We just never know what we are dealing with....

puzzled

Unread post by puzzled »

First of all, glad your safe and it didn't turn into a bad situation. Don't blame yourself for what he did. Your head may be spinning now, but again, you had no control over his actions and the main thing is that you went home safe.

Take the mystery out of driving. Use your turn signal.
Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

Unread post by Simon Borys »

Don't beat yourself up speculating about it. Who knows, maybe his original intent was a murder/suicide but you treating him nice diverted him from killing someone else. We'll never know but the point is your actions just as likely had a positive effect on the situation as they did a negative effect.

The important thing is, as always, you went home at the end of the day.

Bamelin

Unread post by Bamelin »

FyreStorm wrote:A few days back, on patrol, I stopped a car going the other way for his dark window tint. I couldn't see in and we all know this is rather common.

My spider sense was tingling and there was radio traffic, so rather than book off, I immediately went to driver's window.

The driver was hunched over the passenger seat with the glovebox open...I couldn't see what he was doing so I told him to sit up and face me.

Young fella, mid 20's...custom car...you know the type.

We had a conversation about window tint, he thought his was ok, not too dark, so I took a pic with my Iphone from 2 ft away and showed him...he was polite so I gave him a warning, he smiled, thanked me and drove off.

3 hours later he shot himself with a shot gun, in the car, ammo was in the glove compartment.

Did I almost get shot? Did I move too quickly for his 'suicide by cop' improvised plan? Did I miss a sign of someone in pain?

I can tell you I had no concerns as the driver showed no signs of anxiety, distance or depression. Had he not lowered his window and chosen to raise the shotgun at me, I'd have never seen it coming.

A cautionary note to the other officers here, and perhaps a little insight to those sporting dark tint.

We just never know what we are dealing with....

wow. That story is intense.

Reflections

Unread post by Reflections »

There is more sadness in this world then we care to imagine. Sometimes it hides behind tinted windows....Glad you are ok, I'd miss your banter :D

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Marquisse

Unread post by Marquisse »

I'm glad to hear your guardians were perched on your shoulder and you're here to tell us about it. Sometimes when someone has made up their mind on suicide, they are at peace with the world knowing they're leaving it. It's a warning sign, but you couldn't have known that because you didn't know the young man. It doesn't sound like he was an angry young man wanting to take someone with him, or force their hand because he lacked the courage to do it himself.

It's a sad story, but I am grateful you are safe.

mathers

Unread post by mathers »

but you couldn't have known that because you didn't know the young man. It doesn't sound like he was an angry young man wanting to take someone with him, or force their hand because he lacked the courage to do it himself.

It's a sad story, but I am grateful you are safe.

Agree with all points. You very likely were not in danger. Nothing you could have done to prevent what happened later. Obviously everyone is grateful you were not hurt. Try not to dwell on it or it may affect judgment in a future situation.

Radar Identified

Unread post by Radar Identified »

Glad to hear that you're okay. I agree with the others - try not to dwell on it. It's sad that the young man chose to end his life, but it's nothing you could've stopped. What more could be expected of you? Nothing. You can't do everything or read people's minds. At this point, the main thing is that you walked away from the situation safely, and you went home to your family at the end of the day.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

WOW!! :shock:

glad you went home at end of shift!!!

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca