Plates Not Autorized For Vehicle

enzoitalia

Plates Not Autorized For Vehicle

Unread post by enzoitalia »

i had just bought a 97 vdub golf a few days prior, i am in the prosess of getting it plated i have the safty and just got the catalitic changed, but on my way to the drive clean i got pulled over and was found to be driveing with the plates off my old hyundai accent. the sticker was dated march 10 but its still unauthourized,,,, eny ways the officer didnot ticket me but gave me a yellow sheet with my ofence and a court date. now im wondering what the worst case senario could be. wether it be a 500 dollar ticket or getting my licence suspended its only a g2.

fortec_man

Unread post by fortec_man »

as long as it was within 6 days of getting the new car, and you sold or otherwise got rid of your old car, you're allowed to use the plates off of the old car on the new one because they're the same class of vehicle

and the yellow sheet you got is a part III summons

enzoitalia

Unread post by enzoitalia »

right so there was no ticket, just a yellow slip with my offense and a court date, signature my info, ect. what happened was i had just gotten it back from the drive clean guys, and then was on my way to the mto or w/e for the plates so i could bolt them on right there, but i got pulled over. my question is whats the worst that could happen? demerits, fines jail time?

Greatest Canadian

Unread post by Greatest Canadian »

If you didn't get a ticket how can you get a fine, or jail time?

What is the yellow paper you talking about?

It has to have a title on it, (offence notice or whatever) or its FORM 2 or whatever?

OTTLegal

Unread post by OTTLegal »

The ticket that the officer gave you is a summons to appear before a Justice of the Peace to answer to the charge. As its considered a serious offense.

The fine for the ticket can be up to 1000 dollars, 6 months suspension, and 6 months in jail.

Usually what I see with these type of cases is that if you get the vehicle properly licensed and produce the ownership and insurance at the court that you get a 100 fine.

At court the officer has to get ministry documents to prove the ownership of the vehicle and the registration of the license plate.

Chris Conway
Retired Toronto Traffic Officer, Hit & Run Squad Detective,
Breathalyzer Tech, Radar/Highway Patrol
Licenced Paralegal