Parking In Disabled Zone (no Standing)

furn07

Parking In Disabled Zone (no Standing)

Unread post by furn07 »

I parked the other night on Liberty street in Toronto in a handicapped zone .

As I parked I saw the sign and ensured that I was not parked near it so as not to be prosecuted (no road markings were visible due to snow).

I come back and see that I have a ticket for $450 for parking without a permit, turns out there was another sign behind me which was bent sideways and I could not see from the position I was parked in.

I feel this technicality may not be enough for me to get the ticket cancelled but I am wondering if it will give me some grounds for getting the fine reduced.

I received the ticket at 10pm too so I'm guessing that parking in these handicap zones is prohibited at all times.

Is my best hope to just plead guilty with an explanation and hope for a reduction in fine .

$450 is a lot for a parking fine to be fair.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

When parking signage isnt visible, it can sometimes be a defence in Court. The problem in your case is that one sign was still clearly visible with (Im assuming) an arrow on it indicating no standing, pointing in the direction where you parked your vehicle.

I agree that the fine is ridiculously high when you consider most driving offences under the HTA are only $110. Id certainly try to work out a plea deal to a reduced fine with the prosecutor. Not sure how much theyll reduce it by in Toronto.

furn07

Unread post by furn07 »

Thanks for the response . I have taken a picture of the sign which was not clear . I will bring it to court to see if it will help my case, but like you said I feel my best hope may be to just get the fine reduced.