Failure To Drive In Marked Lane. Traffic Ticket. HTA: sec 156(1)(A)
matt123

Passing On The Right

by: matt123 on

When two cars are traveling down a road side by side and road is marked with two lanes in the same direction(dotted white line) is it legal to pass on the right or hold position when the dotted line stops?What is the car on the right supposed to do,I would think drop back and yeild as the road becomes a single lane, or does it?

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

which ever vehicle is in the lane that "doesn't end" has the right of way.....or another put another way...which ever driver has to cross the line into the other lane must yield to the other driver

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

matt123 wrote:Thanks hwybear few people seem to grasp the concept around here and had me second guessing.

your welcome, and the way I worded the response is for either right or left lane ending as I have seen right lanes ending on hwys and left lanes ending is some cities I have travelled

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
matt123

by: matt123 on

It's an city expressway and the dotted line doesn't slowly close a lane it just ends.Also the width of the road does not change however parked cars become an obstical and speed drops to 50kph from 80kph.I think the rule is no passing on the right unless the other to car the left is turning or signaling to turn.Thanks again

Squishy

by: Squishy on

It is also legal to pass on the right where pavement is of sufficient width, which doesn't make sense to me that lane markings are not a requirement. There is a road near where I live that is notorious for such passes, but with circumstances opposite to yours - the road goes from one lane to two with only minor widening of the roadway, and cars will prematurely jump into the lane that has yet to form. I have to drive down that road right in the middle of the lane (sometimes with a slight weave, heheh) to keep others from trying to pass me; without lane markings, the only requirement I am aware of is to leave one-half of the roadway free for overtaking traffic. Cars that pass prematurely often get caught at the lights, blocking right-turning traffic and creating a hazard for vehicles that want to keep to the newly formed right lane.

If your right-hand lane becomes on-street parking, then the left lane has right-of-way over vehicles on the right (i.e., the right lane ends and vehicles must merge to the left in order to continue).

Post a Reply