Plea to non-HTA offence? Or non moving violation?

Moderators: Reflections, admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Decatur, bend

Jonny042
Plea to non-HTA offence? Or non moving violation?

Unread post by Jonny042 on

Hello all,

What are the chances of getting a prosecutor to actually change the charge to a non motor vehicle related offence? Or even, say, a dirty plate (if that wouldn't affect my insurance?)

Thanks!!

bend
Posting Awards

Unread post by bend on

Practically zero.

The reduced charge usually has to be in the same category and somewhat relevant to the original charge.

iFly55
Posting Awards

Unread post by iFly55 on

http://assets.ibc.ca/Documents/Brochure ... FAQ-ON.pdf

Insurance companies have three categories: minor, major and serious. Dirty plate would be under the minor category and can still increase your rates. Speeding +49km/hr and driving with dirty plate could still be under the "minor category". They don't set different premiums for moving and non-moving convictions; if you're charged under the HTA, it's all the same.

Companies like State Farm will cancel your policy if you collect 3 minor convictions within the same window. Major and Serious convictions will generally result in your policy getting cancelled or +100% surcharges so that you will cancel.

If your charge is related to a sign, there's a small chance they could amend it to the by-law for the sign. It never hurts to ask, but you will not get an amendment to a completely unrelated charge.

Jonny042
Unread post by Jonny042 on

Thanks for the advice!

Anyone know the complete ins and outs for Allstate? It seems as though I won't take a hit for a single minor offense, but not sure about a second one.

I've been trying to clean up my act (successful!) but mistakes can happen (both by the OPP and myself!)

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority
Unread post by jsherk on

In the USA a lot of the prosecutors will offer to exchange your driving charge to a parking violation charge (with same fine amount) in exchange for a guilty plea.

However I have never heard of that happening in Canada. Either they are not allowed to do it, or just won't.
+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++

hecubus
Unread post by hecubus on

Jonny042 wrote: Anyone know the complete ins and outs for Allstate? It seems as though I won't take a hit for a single minor offense, but not sure about a second one.
I don't have any details re: how Allstate treats convictions, but I discovered that my insurance company provides a "conviction free discount" of 15%. In other words, a single conviction will result in losing the 15% discount. Of course, additional convictions will result in further premium increases, but I found the "conviction free discount" an interesting twist.

Return to “General Talk”