Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Plea to non-HTA offence? Or non moving violation?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:50 pm 

Hello all,

What are the chances of getting a prosecutor to actually change the charge to a non motor vehicle related offence? Or even, say, a dirty plate (if that wouldn't affect my insurance?)

Thanks!!

Re: Plea to non-HTA offence? Or non moving violation?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:14 pm 

Practically zero.

The reduced charge usually has to be in the same category and somewhat relevant to the original charge.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:44 pm 

http://assets.ibc.ca/Documents/Brochure ... FAQ-ON.pdf

Insurance companies have three categories: minor, major and serious. Dirty plate would be under the minor category and can still increase your rates. Speeding +49km/hr and driving with dirty plate could still be under the "minor category". They don't set different premiums for moving and non-moving convictions; if you're charged under the HTA, it's all the same.

Companies like State Farm will cancel your policy if you collect 3 minor convictions within the same window. Major and Serious convictions will generally result in your policy getting cancelled or +100% surcharges so that you will cancel.

If your charge is related to a sign, there's a small chance they could amend it to the by-law for the sign. It never hurts to ask, but you will not get an amendment to a completely unrelated charge.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:21 am 

Thanks for the advice!

Anyone know the complete ins and outs for Allstate? It seems as though I won't take a hit for a single minor offense, but not sure about a second one.

I've been trying to clean up my act (successful!) but mistakes can happen (both by the OPP and myself!)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:23 am 
High Authority

In the USA a lot of the prosecutors will offer to exchange your driving charge to a parking violation charge (with same fine amount) in exchange for a guilty plea.

However I have never heard of that happening in Canada. Either they are not allowed to do it, or just won't.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:52 am 

Jonny042 wrote:
Anyone know the complete ins and outs for Allstate? It seems as though I won't take a hit for a single minor offense, but not sure about a second one.

I don't have any details re: how Allstate treats convictions, but I discovered that my insurance company provides a "conviction free discount" of 15%. In other words, a single conviction will result in losing the 15% discount. Of course, additional convictions will result in further premium increases, but I found the "conviction free discount" an interesting twist.