Ontario Hta On Front License Plate

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

kjkj

Ontario Hta On Front License Plate

Unread post by kjkj »

Hi,

Many say that the front plates must be attached to the vehicle bumper, however I did not see that listed at all in the HTA, please read what I found below and correct me if Im wrong by showing me exactly where it shows that the front plate has to be in the front bumper.

Thanks.

"Permit requirements

7 (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless,

(a) there exists a currently validated permit for the vehicle;

(b) there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner,

(i) number plates issued in accordance with the regulations showing the number of the permit issued for the vehicle, or

(ii) number plates described in subsection (7.2) if the vehicle is an historic vehicle and the Ministry has issued a currently validated permit for it; and

(c) evidence of the current validation of the permit is affixed, in the prescribed manner, to,

(i) one of the number plates mentioned in subclause (b) (i) displayed on the vehicle, or

(ii) to a mini-plate attached to the number plate exposed on the rear of the vehicle, if number plates described in subsection (7.2) are displayed on the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 7 (1); 2000, c. 29, s. 1 (1).

Historic vehicle

(1.1) In this section,"

kjkj

Unread post by kjkj »

Currently I have the front plate on my dashboard, so I would like to see where in the HTA shows that it has to be installed on the front bumper.

Thanks.

Nanuk

Unread post by Nanuk »

kjkj wrote:Currently I have the front plate on my dashboard, so I would like to see where in the HTA shows that it has to be installed on the front bumper.

Thanks.

Ontario Reg. 628

9. (3) The number plates for a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a motor assisted bicycle, shall be attached to and exposed in a conspicuous position on the front and rear of the motor vehicle. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 628, s. 9 (3).

On the front and back of the vehicle, not back from the front sitting on the dashboard or in the windshield. It cannot clearly be read when in the windshield.

Thanks,

kjkj

Unread post by kjkj »

Thanks For the info, are there any ways around it?

Thanks again.

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

kjkj wrote:Thanks For the info, are there any ways around it?

Thanks again.

What's the goal here? Not drilling plate holes in the bumper?

Decatur

Posting Awards

Unread post by Decatur »

The only way around it is if youre willing to accept a $110 ticket for it every time youre pulled over. After about the second or third time, be prepared for a Summons.

andrewWW

Unread post by andrewWW »

I had a truck once with a cheap license plate holder and it was hard to find a replacement and had to be ordered from the dealer. I was pulled over for not having a plate but the police accepted the fact that it was broken and that I had it in the windshield. The only other thing I could have done would have been to gerry rig it but that would have eventually been a total loss.