Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Requesting advice - 113km in 80km
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:25 am 

Yesterday while I was travelling to my midwife appointment I was pulled over and given the ticket for 113km in an 80km. I am 5 months pregnant and was on my way to recieve the results of multiple testings to determine the health of my baby. I was on a county rd (26) in Simcoe County just outside of Elmvale. I had just gone down a big hill, but was now on flat road, no cars in front of behind me, I was deep in thought about my appointment and getting my results. And all of a sudden I see an oncoming vehicle which suddenly turns on lights, indentifying it as a police car. I pulled over, the police car turned around and pulled over right behind me. As I was pulling over I tried to look at my speedometer to see what I was doing to cause him to stop me but I could see... I am short, 5'3, and with my growing belling I have had to raise my wheel so it would not be hitting my stomach, so now the upper portion of the speedometer is blocked from my view and I couldn't determine for myself my speed.

When he came to my window he said "I got you doing 113 in a 80." I was shocked... I honestly didn't think I was going that fast. I didn't say anything. He then asked for my license, proof of insurance and ownership. All of which I gave to him. He was in his car for about 5 minutes. When he came back he gave me the ticket. He said "I don't know what your driving record is like, but if it is good, I suggest option 3 on your ticket, they may be willing to work with you." And that was it.

I have looked at the ticket and have read a few postings here and am not sure how to proceed. I have never had a ticket that involved points. In my 15 plus years of driving I have had a handful of tickets, but none for over 15km. I am sure I was going over 80 because I had just gone down a hill and hadn't corrected my speed from that, but again I don't think I was going that fast.

On my ticket, with lists the POA court as Orillia gives 2 options for "Option 3"
Do I select both or just one?
1, I intend to appear in court to enter a plea of not guilty at the time and place set for trial and I wiish to have trial conducted in the English language.
or/and
2, I intend to chanllenge the evidence of the Provincial Offences Officer. I request that the officer attend trail.

I do not feel confident about getting in to a court battle and don't feel I could challenge the Officer about the evidence. I would just like to have it reduced and go away. What is the likelihood of that happening?

Help, advice, suggestions?
Thank you.

Re: Requesting advice - 113km in 80km
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:00 am 
High Authority

Reductions are quite common. Most jurisdictions offer a first attendance meeting with the Crown, where they will hopefully let you plead guilty to a reduced speeding fine. You will still need to select option 3 to dispute the charge and then determine if/how first attendance meetings are scheduled in Orillia.