Old fines, suspended license - need some help

Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 10:14 am

Old fines, suspended license - need some help

by: warden on
Wed May 19, 2010 10:31 am

Hey guys, I'm looking for some direction here.
First, let me say that, yes, as a younger man I was very stupid and made a lot of mistakes which I am now trying to attain
Basically, I have 3 outstanding fines in 3 seperate cities, Cambridge, Waterloo and Toronto, totalling approx $5000. The fines are for driving with a suspended license, driving without insurance, and using plates not authorized for the car. All of this happened between 2003 and 2006.

My license is suspended until I pay the $5000, as well as the reinstatement fee's. I am now in a position where I can not continue working and providing for my family without being able to drive. I have some money for the fines, but can't pay it all - is there any way to pay over a period of a year, but get my license before it is fully paid? I have been without a license for almost 5 years now and am trying to get my life back together. Any help that can be given will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
OPS Copper
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:06 pm

by: OPS Copper on
Wed May 19, 2010 1:24 pm

Go to the POA court and speak to prosecutor. I know here they have payment plans but they are stringent. Miss a payment and for the most part your suspended until entire amount is paid.

Oh and it was not a mistake it was a choice you made. A mistake is turning left instead of right.

Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 7:19 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON

by: Biron on
Sun May 30, 2010 12:08 pm

You will have to go to each jurisdiction (city you got a ticket) and go to the POA office, as suggested by OPS Copper, and ask to see a justice of the peace to request an extension of time to pay the fines.

To get the time extension you have to show that you made an effort to pay but can not finish paying within the allotted time.

If you haven't paid anything is more difficult to get the extension, however, take the money you have and divide it by the number of fines, go to the POA office and make an initial, or a partial payment to each one of the fines. When talking to the justice of the peace, show your receipts and mentioned you need your license for work.

As soon as you get the time extensions for all of them you may pay the reinstatement fee ($150) and get your license back. Actually it takes about 4 to 6 days for the extensions to be in the system.

Good luck
Post Reply
  • Similar Topics

Return to “Driving While Suspended”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest