Need411

Drive Under Suspension/disobey Stop Sign

by: Need411 on

I was recently pulled over for a 'rolling stop' at an intersection close to home. I was charged with Disobey stop sign 136 (1) (a). For the record, the ticket was dated February (no date) 2012. Can that ticket be thrown out because it is missing the date?

More seriously, I was also charged with Drive Under Suspension HTA 53. My license has been suspended for a very long period, according to the officer, currently due to unpaid fines. The courthouse informed me I owe about $4000. If I pay that amount before I am scheduled to appear on this charge: 1) will it be beneficial in receiving a lesser punishment or 2) does the judge have the power to reduce the total amount owed if I declare the ability to pay immediately all fines imposed? Any advice would be appreciated. I am only able to resolve these financial matters because my mother passed away in January and left me a small inheritance.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

The lack of offence date may be an issue on a normal ticket, but not on a summons which is what I'm guessing you received (regular ticket has a fine, summons has no fine and a court date).

Taking care of your outstanding fines certainly won't hurt when it comes to sentencing. Crown's often cite large outstanding fines as a sign that the accused doesn't care. It's still a pretty serious charge through, and may be worth seeking legal representation.

Post a Reply