blackstone

Handicap Permit Court Summons Tomorrow

by: blackstone on

Hey,

So back in early September, I parked the car, I didn't have coins for the parking machine, so decided to break a $20 at the coffee shop directly across the street. But there was a parking enforcer circulating the area on his bike and so I decide to put my dad's handicap permit on the dash while I run to the coffee shop and back, to not get a ticket.

On my way to the shop, coffee mug and $20 in hand, parking enforcer comes out from behind a car and states he wants to see that permit (seems like he was basically watching me). We walk back to the car, he identifies himself as a toronto police parking enforcer, I hand it to him and basically freaking out inside. He inspects it with my drivers license and asks who it is, I tell him it's my dad's. He asks where he is and say that he's at old city hall for court, he says let's go check it with court clerk's list that has all rooms in session and who is involved.

At that moment, knew I was screwed, came clean (shouldn't have. never talk PKE/cops) - told him it's my court date and I was walking to the coffee shop to break cash for coins for the machine, hence the mug and money when I was walking. He seizes handicap permit, said I'll get a summons for court, and also issued a $30 parking ticket.

A few weeks later, received a summons for tomorrow. Summons stated "Display disabled person parking permit not in accordance with Regulations contrary to HTA 27(1)(b)."

Aside from going to court tomorrow, I don't know what to do or what to expect, or if there's any chance, how to fight it.

Any help or experience will be greatly appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------

Highway Traffic Act (HTA)

27. (1) No person shall,

(b) display a disabled person parking permit otherwise than in accordance with the regulations;

Penalty

(2) A person who contravenes clause (1) (a), (b), (c), (d), (e) or (f) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $300 and not more than $5,000. 2001, c. 32, s. 26 (2).

I've been unemployed for close to two months now (graduated from university recently), have been applying to many places but no light yet. As well as only have ~$200 in the bank to my name and a maxed out $1,000 credit card. Even if they charge me $300-$5000, I have no means of paying it at the moment. 24 years old and only first traffic offense in ~6 years that I drive. I live at home.

Post a Reply