High beam on? Discuss Failing to lower headlamp beams
OliverQueen

2 Tickets, 2 Different Courthouses. Cop Says Quota System.

by: OliverQueen on

I was pulled over near Goreway and Derry for "Speeding" which is complete BS. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was the same cop. It was the second last week of December 2015 on a Sunday around 10:50pm, the cop pulls me over and tells me that I was speeding. I told the cop that that was impossible since I am a very careful driver who watches his speed at all times, and who hasn't had any tickets in 10+ years. I pled my case to him and he indirectly agreed with me that I was indeed not speeding.

He then asks me where I was heading to, and I told him there was a restaurant down the road, and I was going to pick up food that I had already ordered and that it closed in 10 mins. To which he replies do you have your licence on you? I said yes and handed it over to him. Now the cop wasn't rude or disrespectful in any way, but he was wasting my time cause I knew I had done absolutely nothing wrong. The cop than tells me to go and pick up my food and to meet him back at the exact same spot he pulled me over in while he holds onto my license. So I do just that and I come back to meet him. He informs me that he is issuing me two tickets which are:

-Improper Number Plate Light 62(19)

-Failure To Surrender Driver Licence 33(1)

When he handed me the tickets I read them and told him that I don't understand. To which he replies and this is not a joke, this is literally what he said to me. The cop goes well I can issue you speeding tickets but I don't want to do that cause it takes up the courts time and my time and it's just a huge hassle. So here's what I am going to do for you since you seem like a nice guy. I am going to issue you these two tickets to different court houses, what you do is you request a Early Resolution Meeting on the back of the ticket and mail them in. Make sure when you talk to the prosecutor you do NOT tell them you have another ticket at another court house. He tells me that the prosecutor will immediately drop the tickets when you show them your drivers license and a picture of your licence plate light. If they do not request a trail and he "promises" not to show up.

Now this is where it gets interesting, the cop brazenly explains his whole job situation to me, and why he's issuing these tickets to me. He tells me that because it is the holidays, officers have a quota system in place where they have to fill out a certain amount of tickets each month. He tells me that these tickets that they are issuing are useless tickets and are basically just for show, so that they can complete their quota and keep their bosses happy. Now I'm standing there in disbelief, for someone who is a law abiding citizen, who has never gotten in trouble with the law, pays his taxes and is genuinely a good person, this was unbelievable to me and it really ticked me off. But I held my composure and got my licence back and the 2 tickets he issued to me and I went home.

Now I wrote this out all today because I have one question. Can I somehow request body camera footage from this officers camera and use it as evidence in my early resolution meeting? Or if I request a trial if I don't like what I hear in the Early Resolution Meeting, can I request this footage? Because not only will this footage show the officer holding my driver licence and issuing me a ticket for "Failure to surrender drivers licence" but also dash cam footage will show my car's licence plate fully working, and the officer issuing me a "Improper Number Plate Light" ticket. Now this is a complete waste of my time, I can be doing a 100 different things but because of this officer and his "Quota System" that he has to abide by, I now have 2 tickets to deal with which I shouldn't have received in the first place.

Please let me know my option, and I look forward to hearing from ya"ll.

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

Going to call BS on this one/ Cops do not get to chose the court jurisdiction a ticket is issued to.

Cops can face police act charges if the do not show up for court so no cop is going to promise to not show up.

It is also a serious neglect of duty and deceit charge to issues tickets that there is no evidence for or made up entirely.(job ending type of ramifications).

I think all scout cars have dash and voice recorder so I do not believe any cop would do what you said.

So yeah this whole post is made up I suspect.

ops

UnluckyDuck

Posting Awards

by: UnluckyDuck on

The officer who charged me was really nice, so I really don't want to get him in trouble (hence blacking out almost every detail), however, I actually have proof of this happening. Check the time on both tickets and the handwriting as well.

Hopefully I don't get a cop coming to my door with a summons.. :(

Personally, if it could happen to me, maybe the same thing happened to the OP.

Sorry For The Poor Quality, The file was too big, so i had to shrink it.

Attachments
IMG_0345[1].gif
IMG_0345[1].gif (145.55 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

These are two tickets from the same ticket book (sequential numbering) so would be the same courthouse. Plus the charges are number plate light and headlight nothing about your licence.

I suggest you got stopped and got issued two tickets. Happens all the time.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

I'm still interested in the OP's explanation for the different offences than those he related in the original post particularly where he made specific reference to the officer saying the charge might be dropped if a DL was presented to the prosecutor.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
UnluckyDuck

Posting Awards

by: UnluckyDuck on

The OP didn't upload his tickets. I did. What I was trying to show is that I believe that he is telling the truth behind the false charges. My headlights weren't out but I still got charged for it. Bear in mind, I was originally pulled for Stunt Driving, and he gave me a break, which is what I'm assuming happened to the OP.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

This is the most bizarre thread. I personally have a huge issue if coppers are writing tickets for offences that don't exist. Plus quotas are nonsense and no officer should have to make up charges because there are so many out there.

If I even caught one of my recruits doing this I'd punch them in the throat !

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

UnluckyDuck wrote:The OP didn't upload his tickets. I did. What I was trying to show is that I believe that he is telling the truth behind the false charges. My headlights weren't out but I still got charged for it. Bear in mind, I was originally pulled for Stunt Driving, and he gave me a break, which is what I'm assuming happened to the OP.

Your original post 2 months ago makes no mention about you originally being pulled over for stunt driving.

Not only that, but you've been pulled over for 50+ not once, twice, three times, four times, this new/old stunt driving charge, and come away with these amazing stories about how you were basically let off scot-free.

So please excuse me if there's a bit of skepticism on my part when it comes to your posts, which is a shame because who knows what is really happening here.

Post a Reply