Topic

Share The Lane

Author: yhache

yhache

Share The Lane

Unread post by yhache »

How much room must I give a cyclist in a 8 foot lane?

hwybear
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

cyclist is a vehicle and is entitiled to the full width of a lane, just like a car

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Squishy

Unread post by Squishy »

MTO recommends giving them 1 metre of space to your right, and if the cyclist is riding defensively, they will also be leaving themselves about 1 metre to the curb. If you can't give them that space then you should signal and change to the next lane to pass.

hwybear
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

most lanes are 3.5-3.75m wide....bicycle should be out about 1 metre (or in right tire track) to avoid drains, gutters etc...

this will leave 2.5-2.75m.

Add in the width of a bicycle 50cm... now down to about 2.0-2.5m of room.

Add in 1 metre for clearance....now at 1.0-1.5m of room.

Smart Car 1.51m wide

Honda civic 1.71m wide

Toyota Highlander 1.83m wide

Crown Vic 1.98m wide

without going into another lane.....it is even a tight squeeze for a "Smart Car"

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Squishy

Unread post by Squishy »

A lot of streets up here have no curb, so I can incorporate the gravel shoulder into the defensive 1 metre to my right. On those streets I will ride about 15 cm from the solid white line and cars have just enough room to pass me by driving to the left edge of the lane. Near a crest of a steep hill on a two-lane road I will move out and take up the entire lane to prevent cars from straying into oncoming lanes.

In downtown areas you will likely never be able to pass a cyclist properly unless you switch lanes or they have a bike lane. In Toronto though, I have noticed that there is almost an unspoken rule that cars in the left lane will shift over, allowing cars in the right lane to straddle both lanes for a bit and pass the cyclist safely. It would be a bad idea to assume this space will always open up, though.