Traffic ticket for Prohibited turns? Learn the Highway Traffic Act here.
jeffreywenzel

Disobey Sign 182(2)

by: jeffreywenzel on

So I just started my new job and I was trying to find my way home. Being new to the area, I was following these green signs with big arrows to find my way to Bayview (was on some side streets). The green arrows led me to Welland and Moore, and prompted me to turn right. Being nervous about being lost, I didn't realize there was a no right turn between 4-6pm when turning right onto Moore. Of course I got stopped and ticketed $110. So I am planning to take this to court, but my question is, Do I have a chance? I was just following the signs that started at St. Clare and lead me down these streets. They should be more clear and tell me I cant go that way between 4 and 6, instead of leading me all that way and then making me turn around. Also, the officer didn't mention anything about demerit points, nor does it say anything on the ticket. If I do loose in court will I be faced with any demerit points? I am only 18 and that would be killer on my insurance, as I have never had a single ticket.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Yes, you would face two demerit points upon conviction. Unfortunately I'm not sure your defence strategy is that strong. I'm assuming you're talking about the Moore Park area of Toronto. If so, the green signs you refer to aren't official Highway Traffic Act signs, just general information notices posted by the City. As long as any official HTA signs posted prohibiting turns are visible, you're required to comply with them. I agree that it's stupid for the City to post signs saying "go this way" when you can't, but unfortunately that's what they've done. I don't think it's enough for a due diligence defence.

You may want to consider trying to plead to a bylaw infraction for prohibited turns. It would be a lower fine, but unfortunately can also involve demerit points. I've never dealt with Toronto Courts, so maybe someone familiar with them or the area can offer more specific advice.

Edit: And on a side note, this thread reminds me that while I sometimes miss living in Toronto, I sure don't miss driving in Toronto. :D

Post a Reply