Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Careless Driving, H.T.A. section 44.1(3) & 44.1(5)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:23 am 

I am 21, and was driving home one night from a friend's place. I only had 2 beers over the course of the entire night. I worked 10 hours that day and was feeling super tired. Unfortunately I fell asleep at an intersection for a minute, and a witness called 911.

I drove to my driveway and decided to take a nap in my car to avoid dealing with my parents at 3 in the morning. Later I heard knocking on my window, and to my surprise it was a police officer. He handcuffed me and told me he received a call about me passing out at an interesction. I saw a woman in her car not too far away talking to the officer.

He arrested me and took me to the station where I did a breathalyzer test. My results came to 40 mg and he charged me with Careless Driving, Novice driver- B.A.C. above zero HTA section 44.1 (3), and Young driver- B.A.C. above zero HTA section 44.1 (5). During this whole process, I was calm and collected and followed all of his orders. He said that he saw that I was a good guy and just had a bad lapse in judgement for a night.

Unfortunately today I went to my court date and in my disclosure papers, the woman who called 911 also filed a witness report. I was under the impression that I could maybe fight this, but because the police officer hinted that he might not show up to the trial. I'm just wondering now if my chances are shot because of the witness testifying in court? I really can't afford to pay an increase in insurance fees. Should I even bother carrying forward with a trial/getting a lawyer?

- Does anyone know a good criminal lawyer in Toronto who might be able to help me in this situation?

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Related topics
 Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Careless driving & total payable fine

TRM

Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:39 pm

Stanton View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Careless Driving & Witness Notice to Court

c1ph3r

Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:07 pm

jsherk View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Careless Driving - Missed Stop Sign & Collision

giant

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:33 pm

giant View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. wrong HTA section - careless driving cited?

harbottle

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:55 pm

harbottle View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Section 7 & 11B

coldanca

Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:52 pm

coldanca View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Whats the difference between an Act, Section, & Regulation?

cid45468

Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:50 pm

cid45468 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Driving without Insurance & Driving while Under Suspension

jimp925

Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:35 am

Stanton View the latest post

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Careless for backing out of driveway & hitting parked car

shawn5936

Mon May 28, 2012 8:52 pm

shawn5936 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Driving while under suspension offences #3 & 4

jgw1969

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:09 am

Anxanx View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Calibration & testing requirements for radar & blood alcohol

jsherk

Thu May 28, 2015 1:48 pm

OPS Copper View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 144(9) & 7(1)(a) -proceed contrary to sign & no vali

myob

Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:01 am

racer View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Driving instructors - Section 58

admin

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:21 am

admin View the latest post