Please Confirm , Right Of Way At An Intersection

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

bobajob

Posting Awards

Please Confirm , Right Of Way At An Intersection

Unread post by bobajob »

Hello all, Been a long time.

I have question, I'm not sure if video links are allowed (my dashcam I uploaded) but in case there not (video speaks a 1000 words)

On my way to work, approaching an intersectionIn the video it is clear but anyway

1> Approaching intersection , 2 lane road, in, inside lane.

2> Have a green light and turning right

3> Pretty certain I indicated

4> I don't slow down, or stop, but I do slow down enough to take the corner

5> Car on opposite side of road, facing my direction of travel

6> At Traffic lights, turning Left

Now this is where you can't see what I can see

As I take the turn the car does not let me finish the turn as as I turn he is literally inches of my rear drivers side bumper.

He then (again you can't see) but maybe you can from the lights, attempts to overtake me on the wrong side of the road, further along the road is a left turn into an industrial estate.

I'm taking a left there, you can see me take the turn and again he is on my bumper

there is a turn on the right, so it gets behind me and takes the right.

So... some questions

1> At the traffic light who has right of way ?

2> Do I have to come to a stop, before turning right

3> Does he have to let me clear

I didn't think my driving was off, but appreciate your candid comments

Yourtube link here, not sure any other way I can describe it,

cheers

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
dadtoandrew

Posting Awards

Unread post by dadtoandrew »

My only thought is after you made the right, you should have stayed in the right lane and then moved over, instead of drifting into the left lane during the corner. There was plenty of room to stay in the right, then change to left and make your turn. You stay in the lane closest to you, and the car turning left at the lights, stays in the left lane when they turn.

Don't have to stop before turning right, but the other driver needs to make sure where they are going is not going to blocked as they make the turn and end up blocking the box, but that was not an issue.

If everyone stays closest to the lane they are turning into, traffic actually flows as it should.

leehoewonek

Posting Awards

Unread post by leehoewonek »

The law says that on a right turn you turn into the rightmost lane, and the car in the other direction turning left should go into the leftmost lane, so you should be able to turn simultaneously without an issue. I always turn left when oncoming traffic is turning right in this situation if there's no through traffic, and frequently encounter people like you who feel they can turn into either lane, but the law is clear you only have the right lane.

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

1> At the traffic light who has right of way ?

Left turn, at intersection

(6) Where a driver or operator of a vehicle intends to turn to the left into an intersecting highway, he or she shall, where the highway on which he or she is driving has marked lanes for traffic, approach the intersection within the left-hand lane provided for the use of traffic moving in the direction in which his or her vehicle is proceeding or, where it has no such marked lanes, by keeping immediately to the right of the centre line of the highway and he or she shall make the left turn by entering the intersection to the right of the centre line or its extension and by leaving the intersection in the left-hand lane provided for the use of traffic moving in the direction in which his or her vehicle is proceeding where the lane is marked or, where no such lane is marked, by passing immediately to the right of the centre line of the intersecting highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (6).

Right turn at intersection

(2) Where a driver or operator of a vehicle intends to turn to the right into an intersecting highway, he or she shall, where the highway on which he or she is driving has marked lanes for traffic, approach the intersection within the right-hand lane or, where it has no such marked lanes, by keeping immediately to the left of the right curb or edge of the roadway and he or she shall make the right turn by entering the right-hand lane of the intersecting highway where the lane is marked or, where no such lane is marked, by keeping immediately to the left of the right curb or edge of the roadway being entered. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (2).

2> Do I have to come to a stop, before turning right

Not if it's green. You can proceed as long as it's safe to do so.

3> Does he have to let me clear

If you both make the turn as required by the HTA, there's no reason why you couldn't both turn at the same time as there was more than one lane.

You'd be at fault because you didn't stay within the right-hand lane.

While legal, it's not a good idea to turn at the EXACT same moment because:

(a) this exact scenario

(b) Had you changed your mind and decided to continue straight, regardless if you had already slowed down and signaled your intent to make a right, you'd be free to do so. The driver making the left would be at fault for any accident coming out of that particular situation.