A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Reflections, bend, Decatur

david124124

Seats In Back Of Pickup

by: david124124 on

Hey guys, I am just wondering if anyone knows if securely mounting a pair of bucket seats or bench from another truck with working seat belts in the back of the bed is legal.

I've searched every piece of litigation I could find including the HTA, the motor vehicle safety act and can't find anything on it other than that everyone has to have a working and properly installed seat belt.

Anyone you've stopped for it? Or seen it?

also are rear facing seats illegal now?

Squishy

by: Squishy on

I can't find anything specifically addressing the act in the HTA, but 178 (4) prohibits persons on the outside of a vehicle for the purpose of being "drawn along the roadway". At first I thought it might be referring to people on rollerskates, sleds, etc., but 178 (1) specifically covers those situations. "Drawn along the roadway" likely means "carried along the roadway", which means you can't ride in the open bed of a pickup truck, on the roof of a vehicle, etc.

I'm not sure if having a camper shell means the bed is now considered the inside - if so, CMVSS 207 covers the mounting strength requirements of seating.

FiReSTaRT

by: FiReSTaRT on

Could be interpreted as "stunting" (in the trunk). Even if it doesn't fall under that part of 172, it could be misinterpreted as such on the side of the road and you could still get your truck impounded.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
Bookm

by: Bookm on

We always rode in the back of buddy's pickup. I understood the law to say it was legal as long as all cab seats were occupied and seatbelted in. If it's changed, I didn't hear of it.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

section 178 does not apply at all, that would be for someone on a bicycle, hanging onto the corner of a vehicle.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Squishy

by: Squishy on

hwybear wrote:section 178 does not apply at all, that would be for someone on a bicycle, hanging onto the corner of a vehicle.

Isn't that 178 (1)?

"A person riding upon a motor assisted bicycle, a bicycle, a coaster, roller skates, skis, a toboggan, a sled or a toy vehicle shall not attach it, them, himself or herself to a vehicle or street car on a roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 178 (1)."

What about 178 (4)?

"No person shall attach himself or herself to the outside of a vehicle or street car on a roadway for the purpose of being drawn along the roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 178 (4)."

Since bicycles are already covered in subsection 1, I don't see it necessary to write another subsection just to cover them again. 178 (4) sounds to me like it is prohibiting a person riding on the outside of a vehicle - sidesteps, roof, hood, clinging to an old-timey streetcar, maybe the bed of a pickup.

Post a Reply

Return to “General Talk”