A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Reflections, bend, Decatur

cfa-88

Getting A New Ontario G1 With Fines From Other Province

by: cfa-88 on

Hey, I don't know if anyone will have the deffinate answer to this. My friend is going to be moving here from Nova Scotia, he has never held an Ontario license before. He has fines from over 5 years ago in Nova Scotia for over 9000, not DUI related fines, just 1 for driving without insurance and a couple of other fines like driving under suspention and stuff like that. If he moves here will he be able to get an Ontario G1 License without paying the Nova Scotia fines off?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

All other Provinces (and many States) have a reciprocal agreement with Ontario where any fines/suspensions received elsewhere are applied here as well. If your friend never paid off his Nova Scotia fines, he was likely suspended in that Province and therefore here as well. He will be unable to obtain an Ontario licence until he clears up his suspension. Best bet is to contact the Nova Scotia Ministry of Transportation and see what he owes and if he can start making partial payments to have his suspension removed. $9000 is a lot of money. :shock:

cfa-88

by: cfa-88 on

I know that his license isn't under a suspention, it used to be but he recieved a letter a while back saying it was no longer under a suspention, although he still owes fines from there. Basically i'm woundering if its standard when getting a g1 license for them to check driving records from other provinces

Traffic Law

by: Traffic Law on

cfa-88 wrote:I know that his license isn't under a suspention, it used to be but he recieved a letter a while back saying it was no longer under a suspention, although he still owes fines from there. Basically i'm woundering if its standard when getting a g1 license for them to check driving records from other provinces

If fines are not fully paid or an extention to pay obtained his licence is likely still suspended. His court suspension may have ran out fut he might still be suspended for fines.

Post a Reply