shauna

Ticket For Unlocked Car Door

by: shauna on

I was parked in a parking lot in quebec with my (ontario licensed) car and found an "unofficial looking" square peice of paper on my driver seat when I returned to my car. It was all in french with checkmarks on it. I had no idea what it was so I threw it out. Two weeks later I received an official ticket sent to my home address in Ontario. The ticket was written out in french so I sent it back with a note asking for english translation. Instead I got a notice of conviction from the quebec courts. Apparantly, leaving your car door unlocked is against the law. I refused to pay the $52 and sent a note saying that I would like this ticket explained to me in English. Next, I received a registered letter of coviction saying I owed $172. I tried calling the courts but no one spoke English to me, there wasn't even an english option. I got hung up on. Now I received a warning of seizure, stating that I cannot drive in Quebec and my vehicle will be seized in Quebec if on the roads.

My question is: If I ignore this absurd ordeal... Will it affect my license in Ontario at all?

hawaii

by: hawaii on

shauna wrote:I was parked in a parking lot in quebec with my (ontario licensed) car and found an "unofficial looking" square peice of paper on my driver seat when I returned to my car. It was all in french with checkmarks on it. I had no idea what it was so I threw it out. Two weeks later I received an official ticket sent to my home address in Ontario. The ticket was written out in french so I sent it back with a note asking for english translation. Instead I got a notice of conviction from the quebec courts. Apparantly, leaving your car door unlocked is against the law. I refused to pay the $52 and sent a note saying that I would like this ticket explained to me in English. Next, I received a registered letter of coviction saying I owed $172. I tried calling the courts but no one spoke English to me, there wasn't even an english option. I got hung up on. Now I received a warning of seizure, stating that I cannot drive in Quebec and my vehicle will be seized in Quebec if on the roads.

My question is: If I ignore this absurd ordeal... Will it affect my license in Ontario at all?

Id pay if you plan on returning. Ticket is legit..... Tabarnac

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

That $172 is only going to increase, it'll be in your best interest to pay it out. There will be an arrest warrant for you in Quebec. So if law enforcement run your id or driver's license you'll be arrested, taken to jail and put in front of a french judge... at which point you'll either pay the fine + admin charges or setup a payment program.

From my understanding OPP can also see the arrest warrant, but it's only "active" once you cross into Quebec. CBSA may also have access to the arrest warrant when you cross the border, and may cause you problems.

More info: http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic4294.html

To answer your question, it will not affect your Ontario driver's license.

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

"Apparantly, leaving your car door unlocked is against the law"

WTF !

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

bobajob wrote:"Apparantly, leaving your car door unlocked is against the law"

WTF !

Yup both Montreal and Vancouver have by-laws against leaving your car door unlocked while parked on public streets. It is an attempt to cut down on car theft, although it does seem more like punishing the victim.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

daggx wrote:Yup both Montreal and Vancouver have by-laws against leaving your car door unlocked while parked on public streets.

It's actually an offence anywhere in Quebec, it falls under their version of the Highway Traffic Act.

381. No person may leave unattended a road vehicle that is in his custody without previously removing the ignition key and locking the doors.

381.1. In addition to public highways, sections 380 and 381 apply on private roads open to public vehicular traffic, as well as on land occupied by shopping centres and other land where public traffic is allowed.

daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

Stanton wrote:
daggx wrote:Yup both Montreal and Vancouver have by-laws against leaving your car door unlocked while parked on public streets.

It's actually an offence anywhere in Quebec, it falls under their version of the Highway Traffic Act.

381. No person may leave unattended a road vehicle that is in his custody without previously removing the ignition key and locking the doors.

381.1. In addition to public highways, sections 380 and 381 apply on private roads open to public vehicular traffic, as well as on land occupied by shopping centres and other land where public traffic is allowed.

Interesting, I'd only heard about it in relation to MTL but as that law shows it is in fact law province wide.

Post a Reply