Shift9

Ontario Resident 33 Over In Alberta

by: Shift9 on

Hey all i recebtly got a ticket for 143 in a 110 (Highway 2 in alberta) and i am a ontario resident with ontario license. I was visiting Alberta.

The cop gave me a yellow speeding ticket with a set fine of 203$ however told me my insurance will not be affected and i will not get any points.

Also he checked off RADAR/LASER

Do i have to pay this ticket,? and is he correct will it not show on my insurance and pooints?

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Shift9 wrote:Do i have to pay this ticket,? and is he correct will it not show on my insurance and pooints?

All the provinces have a reciprocal agreement. Speeding is a conviction that will follow you back to Ontario and have demerit points applied according to the penalties here in this province (4 points). Whether or not it your insurance company chooses to increase your rates is up to them, but they can certainly do so. To answer your question, no, the officer is not correct. You will receive points and are at risk for an insurance increase.

Shift9

by: Shift9 on

What do i do at this point???

from reading various posts, ive heard about this reciprocal agreement, yet many have said it rarely proceeds where info is actually shared , in compariosn to MTL/ ONT where the sharing of info occurs more often.

(guess i'm just hoping nothing happens )

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

Just so you're aware. If your Ontario licence is suspended as a result of the unpaid fine, your insurance company will take it more seriously than just the speeding on its own. And you'll still have to pay the fine to get your Ontario licence back as well as a $150 reinstatement fee. Is it worth the risk?

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

Yeah when tickets are not paid in some provinces they issue warrants for arrest. . In Ontario they suspend your DL instead.

I do not know about Alberta but as an example I have seen Sask residents with warrants for Dogs at large..Etc.

And no you will not be arrested in Ontario and sent back to Alberta if there is a traffic warrant for you. ( can never say never as there are extreme circumstances) But the warrants never go away and if your back in Alberta and get stopped you will be arrested which means a night in jail and before a judge in the morning. I think the Oldest warrant I have actioned was from 1992.

OPS

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

33 over should be considered a minor offence, which may or may not increase your rates.

Demerit points will be applied based on what the offence would carry in Ontario (3 points). You may be sent a warning letter from the MTO, but there is no associated suspension or other penalty.

Post a Reply