BenBranklin

Issued Summons - Court Closed!! What To Do Next?

by: BenBranklin on

I was issued a summons on March 20 for court on April 20th for driving while suspended (first time) (license was suspended due to unpaid tickets(2) ). The cop was nice and lowered the speeding ticket to a warning, however he said he was unable to help me out with this summons.

Went to court on friday, 40 min before my time. Spoke to the prosecutor (that's what she said she was) and they were completely confused. Said the court was closed (no prosecutor present, wtf?) and my summons was actually scheduled for May 18. MY summons is clear as day and I showed up on time for my appearance.

I asked if it was possible for the Justice to dismiss this summons for-with, and was simply told I'd have to show up May 18.

Interestingly a cop showed up at my house today with a paper, according to my neighbor. I was at work at the time and he left nothing in the mailbox. Are they re-issuing me a summons? What's that about?

I came to court with my speeding tickets paid, and my license in the mail. When I make my next court appearance should I try to plead a deal like I planned to today, or should I fight it now that they *EDIT* up royally on my summons?

Thanks in advance!

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Not sure how an error on the summons would help you fight it in Court. It's not like a regular ticket, where certain errors are fatal and can cause the charge to be thrown out.

The officer at your house most likely is trying to issue you a corrective summons, with the correct Court date on it. I'd suggest attending on the correct date and try for a plea deal again.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

If you showed up on the day you were summonsed to and the court was not prepared to proceed because they didn't have an information before the court, then they may have lost jurisdiction over you.

In that case, it would make sense that they are attempting to re-summon you.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
BenBranklin

by: BenBranklin on

He left his card with the msg "Please call" ... it's the original officer that issued me the summons in the first place.

Called sat and left msg with my number, mistake?

Should I avoid being home? Is there a period in which they have to issue it before it becomes void?

I work nights and sleep during the day, so there's not much chance of him finding me at my house.

ontario_78

by: ontario_78 on

hi all, new here and a bit worried. I was issued a summons in 2011 and we had a first appearance for my offenses (driving without valid plates / and without valid insurance) :(

back in May of 2011. Then I was asked to come back on Nov 22 of 2011 (not sure why) and I never made it back for the second hearing (my father passed away) but I haven't heard anything back.

Today I went to pay my parking fines to get my suspended license reinstated and the lady at the court office just gave me my unpaid ticket numbers and said I could reinstate my licence once these were paid up in full. There was no information about the charges on my license.

I am trying to find out what I need to do to pay my fines / charges but not sure where to start ? should I be calling the court?

Im reading that I could get arrested for failure to appear in court but I did go to the first appearance . Just wasn't able to go to the follow up.

Why is there nothing on my license about this?

Any information / insight would be much appreciated.

Post a Reply