wdias

I Ran A Red And Got A Ticket - What Do I Do?

by: wdias on

I received a "Red light camera system offence notice" in the mail, and it has indisputable evidence of my running a red light, which I will not argue.

I want to ask for a reduction of the fine due to my personal circumstances is that possible?

As I understand from the fine, I have to appear in court at one of the times specified. However, I wonder what the deadline is. There's a line that says "Date of Deemed Service: June 7, 2011". Is that the deadline? That's today, but today is not one of the days when I can go to "plead guilty - submissions as to penalty." I'd have to go tomorrow according to the available times in the ticket.

Also, should I do the above (submissions as to penalty), or should I schedule a meeting with the prosecutor? The court website had that option too... so I'm not sure.

Thanks a lot!

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

The date of deemed service is just the date by which you are deemed to have been served notice that you are charged with the offence. You still have time beyond that to respond to the ticket by (1) pleading guilty, (2) pleading guilty with an explanation, or (3) setting a trial.

If you want to speak with the prosecutor about a possible joint submission for a reduced fine on a guilty plea you'd pick (3) and request a resolution meeting if you just wanted to appear before a JP and ask for a reduction in the fine you'd chose (2).

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Post a Reply