Traffic ticket for Prohibited turns? Learn the Highway Traffic Act here.
feldma14

No Left Turn From A Dedicated Left Turn Lane

by: feldma14 on

I got a ticket this morning at about 8am for making a left turn, which could not be made between 7am and 9am. The intersection was at Hillmount Ave and Bathurst St in Toronto. The intersection has a dedicated left-hand turn lane, which is why I didn't notice the sign. I'm thinking of arguing that the traffic laws are ambiguous; since I'm in the left-turn lane, it would be illegal to not turn left and change lanes in an intersection or to go straight, while it would also be illegal to turn left.

Thoughts?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Looking at the intersection on Streetview, I don't see any signs posted indicating you must turn left (square black signs with white arrows). It would also be legal I believe to stop, signal and merge back into a through lane.

I agree it's a stupid design to have a left turn lane that you can't use at certain hours, but I'm not sure you have a viable defence yet.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

This is much like the garbage trap they like to set up to catch people turning left at Bay and Edward in downtown Toronto between 4 and 6 PM... unfortunately they tend to stick in court...

Anyway you may be able to plea-bargain to a lesser offence in this case... that is, unless they take more than 11 months to bring the case to trial.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply