Draw Trailer - Failure To Display Vin -part Ii Sec. 10

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, hwybear, Reflections, admin, Decatur, bend

Cansaxman

Draw Trailer - Failure To Display Vin -part Ii Sec. 10

Unread post by Cansaxman »

I am hoping someone can weigh in on this as I can't seem to find a clear answer. The manufacturer's ID plate for my trailer, which contained the VIN and other trailer specs is long gone. The VIN is stamped on the underside of the frame. Will that alone meet the obligation under the HTA to "display" the VIN? Am I allowed to stamp the number in a more visible spot myself or is there some other process that I need to follow? I contacted the trailer manufacturer but they will only provide a new plate if I bring them the trailer in person...to Idaho! Any MTO inpector out there that knows what the actual rule is? Don't want to get ticketed for failure to display VIN. Thanks!

Eagle88

Unread post by Eagle88 »

Permit for trailer

(4) No person shall draw a trailer on a highway unless,

(a) there exists a permit for the trailer; and

(b) there is displayed on the trailer, in the prescribed manner, a number plate showing the number of the permit issued for the trailer. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 7 (4).

There doesn't seem to be any further clarification as to what the "prescribed manner" is;

"prescribed" means prescribed by the regulations; ("prescrit")

Manufacturers vehicle identification number to be affixed

10 (1) No owner of a motor vehicle shall drive or permit his, her or its motor vehicle to be driven on a highway unless the motor vehicle has the manufacturers vehicle identification number permanently affixed. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 10 (1).

Idem

(2) No owner of,

(a) a trailer that has a manufacturers gross vehicle weight rating exceeding 1,360 kilograms;

shall draw or permit the trailer to be drawn on a highway unless the trailer has an identification number permanently affixed. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 10 (2); 2009, c. 5, s. 4.

What legislation are you referring to? Highway Traffic Act makes no mention of "VIN to be displayed on plate".

As long as the VIN exists in some non-removable manner upon the vehicle(trailer), in some location, it would seem clear and obvious that you are not in violation.

Last edited by Eagle88 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.