Improper right turn - Discuss the HTA here
MeatballMaster

Questions Regarding Right Turns

by: MeatballMaster on

Hi my name is MeatballMaster and I'm a younge driver. I have a few questions regarding right turns.

a) Is it legal to turn right into a two lane road when I have a red light and the oncoming traffic has the green advance arrow?

b) Which lane do I turn into when there are three lanes and the rightmost lane is a bus lane? For example this intersection: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.8614997, ... !1e1?hl=en .

c) When turning right onto a two lane road I usually wait until both lanes are clear before turning in case someone changes lanes. Is that incorrect?

I also understand that police and insurance sometimes have different methods for finding who's at fault. In any of these cases would their ruling be different? Thanks for the help.

whaddyaknow

Posting Awards

by: whaddyaknow on

1) Yes, provided you come to a full stop first and yield to all other traffic, pedestrians, etc. (Remember to look to the right for pedestrians and cyclists on the sidewalk before moving.)

2) If the rightmost lane is reserved for buses (as it appears to be in your link), you would turn into the next-closest lane.

3) It's not required, but certainly I would recommend it as a general practice.

Your last question is a bit speculative, so I will pass on a specific answer but yes, the insurance fault determination rules are separate from the OHTA.

UnluckyDuck

Posting Awards

by: UnluckyDuck on

From What I recall when I did my driving school approx 7 years ago, you were supposed to turn into the furthest right lane, and merge to the proper lane within 100m of turning. Second, the person making the left with the advanced green has the right of way, you are supposed to STOP and YIELD your right of way at a red light, and proceed when it SAFELY can be done.

Sounds like you were making a right, guy had an advanced green, and you guys hit. Insurance finds fault based on the Fault Determination rules (see here https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900668).

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

Pretty sure it is actually illegal to turn right on a red when the opposite direction has an advanced green. I could be wrong, but I think that came up on another thread here and there specifically is an HTA section for that.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
MeatballMaster

Thanks for the information. I was reading the OHTA and in section 141(6) it says when making a left turn you must exit the intersection in the left lane. Would they have right of way for both left and right lane or just the left? I'll give a bit more context for my questions. I was waiting at a red light to turn right. The traffic on the opposite side of the intersection had the green advance arrow. Three or four of the cars turning left turn directly into the right lane instead of the left which, according to section 141(6) of the OHTA, is incorrect. I wait because I don't want to hit one of them and the dude behind me starts to honk. I can't find any official information about this. This exact situation has happened a few times and I have no idea what I should do.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

You have right of way only in far left lane when making a left turn.

You have right of way only in far right lane when making a right turn.

So if two vehicles approach intersection from opposite directions, both with green lights, then one can turn left and one can turn right at the same time (assuming there are two or more lanes to turn into) and they can turn in simultaneously side be side because they should both stay in their own lane.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

This has been dealt with on these forums and elsewhere on the Internet. It is not illegal to turn right in a red light if there's an advanced green on the same side or the opposite direction. As long as you comply with the condition of turning on that red light and there's no sign prohibiting it.

MeatballMaster

Decatur wrote:This has been dealt with on these forums and elsewhere on the Internet. It is not illegal to turn right in a red light if there's an advanced green on the same side or the opposite direction. As long as you comply with the condition of turning on that red light and there's no sign prohibiting it.

Do you have an official source for that information? Just wondering because for every person agreeing with you there is one who disagrees. Thanks.

Post a Reply