New No Right Turn Sign During Certain Time

Improper right turn - Discuss the HTA here
Moonman

New No Right Turn Sign During Certain Time

Unread post by Moonman »

Hi all,

I just got a $110 ticket (and reading here, 2 demerit points?) for a right turn during a restricted time.

I've been taking this route to work for 10 years and I didn't notice that the signs went up about a month ago. I honestly never noticed these new signs. Has anyone been successful in reducing the penalty based on an argument that the simple posting of the new signs was not enough notice?

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

New signs don't require notice.

However, there's nothing stopping you from attending an early resolution if that's your plan.

Moonman

Unread post by Moonman »

bend wrote:New signs don't require notice.

However, there's nothing stopping you from attending an early resolution if that's your plan.

We saw this option on the ticket this morning and wondered if it was the option to take in this case.

Anyone have experience with going for an early Resolution?

Whenaxis

Posting Awards

Unread post by Whenaxis »

At early resolution, the prosecutor will probably reduce the fine (i.e. to $60). If you agree to a reduced fine, you can appear before a justice of the peace on the day of your early resolution meeting and plea guilty to the reduced fine.

They cannot lower demerit points, and there is no lesser offence for the charge of disobey sign. The only thing that can be lowered is the fine.

You can try to ask to plea guilty to a bylaw offence (if applicable in your jurisdiction).

Zatota

Posting Awards

Unread post by Zatota »

One alternate offence that doesn't carry points is Fail to Proceed. I believe it's subsection 144 (12). I've seen this used a few times in place of Disobey Sign or Improper Turn.

Zatota

Posting Awards

Unread post by Zatota »

I could be wrong with the section/subsection, but I have seen a prosecutor offer Fail to Proceed in lieu of an improper or prohibited turn. It's also possible some of the designations/short forms have changed; I couldn't find a simple "Fail to Proceed" when I searched yesterday.