Improper right turn - Discuss the HTA here
ace

Improper Right Turn

by: ace on

driving north on don mills turning right on to eglington, first lane is a right turn lane , so to ensure I can get into the proper lane I went straight to the bus lane. Going to fight this in court, do I have a case. The right behind me did the same thing. I feel this is the safer turn as you will never get over in time before turning right???????

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

To enable others members to assist you, they will need more info.

What is on the ticket (offence and section)

Describe the area of the offence better. How many lanes NB and which lane you were in. Then how many lanes EB and which lane you were in.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
ace

I was in the right hand lane turning right on to eglington heading east. There is four lanes going east, I went into the bus lane knowing the first lane was a right turn exit lane. Ticket infractrion was a improper right turn, highway traffic act section 141(2). Also the form sent to me telling me when my court date is has my last name spelled wrong? does this help me at all?

viper1

by: viper1 on

ace wrote:I was in the right hand lane turning right on to eglington heading east. There is four lanes going east, I went into the bus lane knowing the first lane was a right turn exit lane. Ticket infractrion was a improper right turn, highway traffic act section 141(2). Also the form sent to me telling me when my court date is has my last name spelled wrong? does this help me at all?

We still don't know what you are charged with?

Don Mills there is 3 lanes each way.

3-7 right lane is bus lane.

If you need to turn right you have to use the bus lane to get to the turn lane.

That and Bay street are the two stupidist things the toronto clowncelors did.

I will help you as much as I can.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
ace

I was charged with an improper right turn, this happened at 10am on a sat. The first lane to turn into is a lane for people will be who are turning into a complex. Next lane over is the bus lane, I went straight to the bus lane. The officer says I should have first gone into the closest lane which would be for people getting ready to exit off eglington. I thought going right to the bus lane was the safest way to go.

viper1

ace wrote:I was charged with an improper right turn, this happened at 10am on a sat. The first lane to turn into is a lane for people will be who are turning into a complex. Next lane over is the bus lane, I went straight to the bus lane. The officer says I should have first gone into the closest lane which would be for people getting ready to exit off eglington. I thought going right to the bus lane was the safest way to go.

When you travel north on D Mills it is 3 lanes(each way) just before the forester building there is a street.

It is impossible to improper right turn? Unless you turned from the middle lane or straight through lane?

There is no complex there however just north there is an ESSO and food store.

I am glad to help if you get your directions right.

Cheers

Nadnic

use at your own risk"
ace

Ok I will try again, I did not reach the esso. Just as you past the foresters building you turn right onto eglington now going east. On the east bound eglington after you past don mills there is a right turn lane which heads back into the foresters building area with all those new townhouses. I did not turn into that lane as I know it will just bring me back to the foresters building . I went straight to the right hand lane in which the busses use in rush hour. Hope this makes sense. my ticket happened on the eglington east lane after I turned off of don mills.

viper1

ace wrote:Ok I will try again, I did not reach the esso. Just as you past the foresters building you turn right onto eglington now going east. On the east bound eglington after you past don mills there is a right turn lane which heads back into the foresters building area with all those new townhouses. I did not turn into that lane as I know it will just bring me back to the foresters building . I went straight to the right hand lane in which the busses use in rush hour. Hope this makes sense. my ticket happened on the eglington east lane after I turned off of don mills.

Where did they pull you over?

I know it is confusing there with the times changes and all.

My guess is you used the diamond lane and they did that to you to delay you.

Depends where they stopped you you should beat this.

Cheers

Viper1

use at your own risk"
hwybear

Posting Awards

viper1 wrote:

Depends where they stopped you you should beat this.

Does not matter where the vehicle was stopped, the ticket is still valid.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
hwybear

Posting Awards

If I understand this correctly:

- NB on Don Mills and in right lane

- made right turn (EB) onto Eglinton

- did not enter closest right lane, but one lane over

Refer you to HTA 141(2)

Right turn at intersection

(2) Where a driver or operator of a vehicle intends to turn to the right into an intersecting highway, he or she shall, where the highway on which he or she is driving has marked lanes for traffic, approach the intersection within the right-hand lane and he or she shall make the right turn by entering the right-hand lane of the intersecting highway where the lane is marked

tom1331

Posting Awards

by: tom1331 on

I used to live right behind that foresters building and I know EXACTLY what the original poster is talking about.

Usually during hot sunny summer days, a lot of police officers will park their cars up on the lawn between the road and the sidewalk and just stand there and talk.

Every once in a while they will look up and watch people turn towards their direction.

The lanes are set up in this way, (From left to right) lane 1 is where people turning left are suppose to turn into, lane 2 is a straight lane, lane 3 is the carpool lane during specified times and lane 4 is very short and leads you into a neighbourhood and a complex that exists slightly behind the sidewalk.

I too did the same thing that the original poster did.

I was new to the neighbourhood and did not notice that lane until the officer showed it to me. HERE IS THE PROBLEM THOUGH...if you are sitting at a red light and you are waiting to turn right, the road does NOT clearly mark the lanes.

It is missing a white line to separate lanes 3 and 4 and allow the driver to make the distinction and merge into the proper lane. The line does not appear until 2 - 3 meters (ironically about 1 car length) after you've already turned onto the street

Is there a law about this somewhere?

Something about lanes need to be clearly marked?

To me, it feels as though lane number 4 does not start until slightly past the intersection which would make turning into lane 3 (which we did) legal?

I tried to google map the exact spot and this is the best I could do.

If you look really carefully further down Eglinton on the right past the intersection, you'll see that it's 4 lanes for a bit

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=don+ ... 8,,0,15.91
hwybear

Posting Awards

If there the claim is that the lane is not marked properly on the right turn.....the reasoning would then default into keeping immediately to the left of the right curb (in other words, turn must be kept as close as possible to curb)

Post a Reply