Improper left turn - Fight the traffic ticket
tests_scare_me

Asked 20 People...no Definitive Answer...proper Left Turn

by: tests_scare_me on

Hi All,

I know this isn't about a ticket, but I can't find the solution anywhere, so I'm hoping someone here can help. I'm taking a G2-exit and no one seems to be able to give me the correct answer.

Situation: Controlled intersection (lights), 2 lanes of traffic in all directions, no left turn lanes. I approach the intersection, the light is green. Am I legally allowed to enter the intersection, even if I can't clear it? Obviously, stay in my lane, not to impeded on-coming traffic, but may have to complete my turn on an amber (or even once the light turns red).

I've been studying the driver's handbook...it doesn't say, I've asked everyone I know, they say if people didn't enter the intersection and turn on the amber (or even red light), traffic wouldn't move, but they can't say it's 100% legal. I've made thousands of left hand turns, and when I'm at a light-controlled intersection, I move into the intersection on a green light...but is it legal?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks

kay

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

tests_scare_me wrote:Situation: Controlled intersection (lights), 2 lanes of traffic in all directions, no left turn lanes. I approach the intersection, the light is green. Am I legally allowed to enter the intersection, even if I can't clear it? Obviously, stay in my lane, not to impeded on-coming traffic, but may have to complete my turn on an amber (or even once the light turns red).

Yes, you are allowed to do that. How do I know this? Because it doesn't say anywhere in the HTA that you can't and anything that is not explicitly prohibited is permitted.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Post a Reply