What Is An Officer's Text Narrative

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, hwybear, Reflections, admin, Decatur, bend

camper66

Posting Awards

What Is An Officer's Text Narrative

Unread post by camper66 »

Hi,

In filing a disclosure request, I received a document titled " Text Narrative". I was expecting a photocopy of the officer's notes, but instead received a 1.5 page types narrative.

Where would the original information for this have come from ?

Thank you

screeech

Unread post by screeech »

Hmmm, if I had to guess...a lot of officer reports are being done by civilian data entry people, they just call up, leave a recorded message as to what they want the report to say the data entry person puts the verbal report on the occurrence report on the computer system. This is a new way of freeing up officers from spending too much time in the office and not being out on the road.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

Did you receive an electronic ticket where the ticket itself is typed? If so there would be no handwritten notes. The officer simply types out his notes along with the ticket. Otherwise, even if it is a dictated report, there should be some form of handwritten notes to go along with it.

camper66

Posting Awards

Unread post by camper66 »

screeech wrote:Hmmm, if I had to guess...a lot of officer reports are being done by civilian data entry people, they just call up, leave a recorded message as to what they want the report to say the data entry person puts the verbal report on the occurrence report on the computer system. This is a new way of freeing up officers from spending too much time in the office and not being out on the road.

If that were the case, would it not leave a lot of room for error. When did the officer relay this information to the typist ?, Did the typist correctly transcribe all the details, without error? Can the transcriber be called to give testimony? Is this hearsay?

Wow! hard to believe.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

Unread post by jsherk »

If it is handwritten ticket and not electronic ticket, I would send another disclosure request asking for a copy of the officers original handwritten notes.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
daggx

Posting Awards

Unread post by daggx »

As others have said, it will depend on how the issuing police force handles ticket writing and note taking. Some have gone over to computerized ticketing and note taking, some haven't. It is also possible that some forces may have computerized note taking but are still issuing hand written tickets.