A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

professor427

Use Of Service Plates To Bring Vehicles Back To Sales Yard

by: professor427 on

Hi, just wanted to check if we're using Service Plates correctly. I'm a driver who picks up commercial trucks for a dealer who often buys them hundreds of kilometres from his shop. When we pick the trucks up, we use Service Plates. We take proof of insurance for each plate, plus we get a signed ownership (and sometimes the bill of sale as well). And while I've read the Ontario Highway Traffic Act REG 628 but am still not sure if we're legal. Does the title transfer have to be made first before we can drive these vehicles home? What about road worthiness? We fill out log books per MTO rules but am still worried that one of these days we're going to get a nasty ticket.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

screeech

by: screeech on

You do not need to fill out log books for that type of trip. If you go to section 16(1) of the Highway Traffic Act, the definition of Commercial Motor Vehicle "does not include" (c) a commercial motor vehicle operated under a permit and number plates issued under a regulation made under clause 7(24) (g) or (h) that is not transporting passengers or goods...a tad confusing: Dealer Plates and Service plates are covered under 7(24) (g) or (h)...therefore, if you do not have a trailer hooked up, and you are just bob tailing back, no need for pre trip inspection or log books as you are not classified as a commercial motor vehicle.

professor427

by: professor427 on

screeech wrote:You do not need to fill out log books for that type of trip. If you go to section 16(1) of the Highway Traffic Act, the definition of Commercial Motor Vehicle "does not include" (c) a commercial motor vehicle operated under a permit and number plates issued under a regulation made under clause 7(24) (g) or (h) that is not transporting passengers or goods...a tad confusing: Dealer Plates and Service plates are covered under 7(24) (g) or (h)...therefore, if you do not have a trailer hooked up, and you are just bob tailing back, no need for pre trip inspection or log books as you are not classified as a commercial motor vehicle.

If I don't need to fill out a log book, does that mean I'm not obligated to pull into scales for inspection?

Post a Reply