Unpaid Fine - How Long Until Suspension?

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, hwybear, Reflections, admin, Decatur, bend

UnluckyDuck

Posting Awards

Unpaid Fine - How Long Until Suspension?

Unread post by UnluckyDuck »

So I've been a bit busy moving houses, and I completely forgot to pay a ticket that I received (JP made a ruling of 30 days to pay). It was due on the 29th of July, and I just found the Notice of Fine and Due Date today (I received it before, totally irresponsible of me to not pay it before hand). I have made the payment in full today online, but I know if you do not pay a fine, they will suspend your license. Anyone have an idea of how long after non payment they suspend it? I assume it's not an immediate thing.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

Unread post by jsherk »

Well with everthing being automated no a days, it could be an immediate thing. And if your license was suspended, then you will also need to attend at the MTO to pay a suspension re-instatement fee as well. But it will take a few days for your payment to show up in the MTO system.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by argyll »

They will mail a letter of suspension to the address on file with the MTO. The suspension then comes into effect a certain number of days after that. It's referred to as 'deemed service'.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by argyll »

Service of notice of licence suspension

52. (1) Where a persons drivers licence is suspended, notice of the suspension is sufficiently given if delivered personally or,

(a) in the case of a suspension under section 41 or 42, sent by registered mail addressed to the person to whom the licence was issued at the latest current address of the person appearing on the records of the Ministry;

(b) in the case of all other suspensions, sent by mail addressed to the person to whom the licence was issued at the latest current address of the person appearing on the records of the Ministry. 2000, c. 26, Sched. O, s. 4.

Deemed date of service

(2) Notice sent by registered mail under clause (1) (a) or by mail under clause (1) (b) shall be deemed to have been given on the seventh day after the mailing unless the person to whom the notice is sent establishes that he or she did not, acting in good faith, through absence, accident, illness or other cause beyond his or her control, receive the notice. 2000, c. 26, Sched. O, s. 4.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Decatur

Posting Awards

Unread post by Decatur »

The suspension is actually in effect prior to the notice being sent out. The seven days is just to allow snail mail to potentially reach the driver for notification.

If you're pulled over prior to the seven days, you're simply severed a notice personally and your licence is seized.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by argyll »

Right but there are no sanctions given until service has been made.