A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

AlienPrime

Underglow Lighting

by: AlienPrime on

Hey! I'm from Sudbury Ontario. Hope that general talk is fine for this subject

I am very serious about looking for exact ruling about underfacing lighting

Section 14 clearly states:

Red and blue lights to the front restricted

(14.1) In addition to the lighting requirements in this Part, a police department vehicle may carry lamps that cast red and blue lights, but no other motor vehicle shall carry any lamp that casts red and blue lights to the front. 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (2).

I want to put red underglow, all around the car. All lighting is LED's.

no lights will be showing. Light will be casting DIRECTLY DOWNWARDS

Are there any acts or portions of the highway traffic act that prohibit this type of lighting? If so, i need to have proof from the highway traffic act. Not from Mr. Joe Blow cop. If it says it in the HTA, then of course it is prohibited.

Thank you

"In fact, the more things are forbidden, the more popular they become"
- Mark Twain
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

IMHO I would not put red lights underneath, if anyone can see them from say a hydro pole away, I would suggest that is casting light forward, if there happens to be a puddle, wet surface or our infamous snow also reflects light very well.

or add a switch so if you want to "show" your car in parking lots/shows you can turn on the underglow and then turn it off for everyday use or in addition to a switch install a fuse and remove it, this would prevent one of your friends from playing silly buddy and flicking the switch on.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Brian Smith

by: Brian Smith on

I'm not aware of any provision in the HTA that prevents what you're describing. This is a Grey area in the HTA and many charges are laid, with individual JP's taking different positions on the matter. That being said, since (based on your other posts about loud exhaust, and your avatar) you appear to be either a street racer or wanna-be. Combined with your "Joe-blow cop" attitude you will no doubt be stopped and ticketed. The courts may toss the charges but you'll still spend the time and effort to fight them.

Also beware that tuner cars in groups scream out "racers". Any tire squeezing, engine rev'ing, appearance of lining up at red lights, etc may find you and your pals walking home with a stunt driving summons.

AlienPrime

hwybear wrote:IMHO I would not put red lights underneath, if anyone can see them from say a hydro pole away, I would suggest that is casting light forward, if there happens to be a puddle, wet surface or our infamous snow also reflects light very well.

or add a switch so if you want to "show" your car in parking lots/shows you can turn on the underglow and then turn it off for everyday use or in addition to a switch install a fuse and remove it, this would prevent one of your friends from playing silly buddy and flicking the switch on.

i only drive the car in the summer... but yes, it certainly will be switched. i was thinking i may be able to drive with them on since there is no act preventing this. thanks for the input :)

- Mark Twain
AlienPrime

Brian Smith wrote:I'm not aware of any provision in the HTA that prevents what you're describing. This is a Grey area in the HTA and many charges are laid, with individual JP's taking different positions on the matter. That being said, since (based on your other posts about loud exhaust, and your avatar) you appear to be either a street racer or wanna-be. Combined with your "Joe-blow cop" attitude you will no doubt be stopped and ticketed. The courts may toss the charges but you'll still spend the time and effort to fight them.

Also beware that tuner cars in groups scream out "racers". Any tire squeezing, engine rev'ing, appearance of lining up at red lights, etc may find you and your pals walking home with a stunt driving summons.

your certainly right, they do often portray us much much worse. Its too bad that i'm automatically classed as street racer or wanna-be street racer. Anybody in their right mind does not race in town, that's very unsafe. Either way, your right about wasting the time and effort about this. I think for now it may be best to drive with them off the majority of the time to avoid complications. There are several things that my car some consider to be violating now. Interior lights, car too low, yellow DRL's etc. Even tho it's not against any rules i still get pulled over for it.

Things like no front plate (even tho it's an ACTUAL VIOLATION) has never had me pulled over. I don't even have it in the window, because that's a violation too. So i just don't put it at all. I've mentioned to a police that i have no front plate at all and he was more worried about the fact that my car was too bright inside to be safe....

makes me wonder that's all.

- Mark Twain
Zach_O

by: Zach_O on

I have a seven colour kit and I've had it for about a month now and I have drove past cops with solid blue surrounding the car with no lights showing but u can see it from the front and back but it's facing down and I have drove past cops beside cops and even stopped at ride programs with them on and have not got in trouble but today I got in trouble because I was being an idiot and pulled into a parking lot beside a cop and was on the flash mode with all the colours today is the only day I got in trouble for it (just a warning) so I think this section is very grey area it really all depends on the cop and how hero happy is but it did scare me I didn't drive with them on home after that but honestly I find it okay to drive with them on

Post a Reply