A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

novembre

Turning Right And Yellow/red Lights

by: novembre on

I'm taking a road test next week. I want to be very clear on this!

The stop light turns yellow as you approach to turn right. You come to a full stop. You look around and see that it is safe to turn, but then the light turns red. Can you proceed before traffic starts moving, or do you have to sit and wait for traffic to go and turn when the way is clear? (the latter would cause a delay, so I don't know if I'll get a mark off for stop intersection -> starting -> speed [wait])...

Or even if the light turns red WHILE you make the turn, is that a traffic violation?

viper1

by: viper1 on

novembre wrote:I'm taking a road test next week. I want to be very clear on this!

The stop light turns yellow as you approach to turn right. You come to a full stop. You look around and see that it is safe to turn, but then the light turns red. Can you proceed before traffic starts moving, or do you have to sit and wait for traffic to go and turn when the way is clear? (the latter would cause a delay, so I don't know if I'll get a mark off for stop intersection -> starting -> speed [wait])...

Or even if the light turns red WHILE you make the turn, is that a traffic violation?

Just stop (you are not in any hurry) wait until the light turns then look each way even behind you.

Then proceed when it is safe to do so.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
highwaystar

Posting Awards

by: highwaystar on

So long as you have come to a complete stop as required at an intersection, and there are no signs or signals prohibiting the turn (or prohibiting a turn on a red), then you may proceed to make the turn as long as it does not impede the safety of anyone or any other car. That means that the cars coming from your left (i.e. having the green light) should not have to take any action whatsoever (e.g. brake) to avoid colliding with you. That's really the test in simple language. Bottom line: you must stop at the red and if 'safe to do so' (and not prohibited by any other means (e.g. sign, signal)), then you may proceed to turn. The concept of when it is 'safe to do so' is what can lead to confusion for some-----just know that other drivers should not need to take any steps as a result of your turn----otherwise, your action can't really be said to have been done when safe to do.

Best of luck on your test!

Post a Reply